Resizing Partitions

Started by
3 comments, last by drowner 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi i need to resize my root partition as i miss judged how much space i needed for extra programs after a fedora install. does anybody know of a program simular to partition magic for linux or any other tactics i can use? Im using a 40G harddrive partitioned -> / = 4G (which is now full) -> /home = 17G -> generic = 17G -> 1G swap I can just reinstall but i'll have to transfer files back and forth and at the mo i havent a cd burner only a 256 usbdrive. thanks :)
Advertisement
There's a CD called System Rescue CD,

I used it to resize my NTFS partition, so I'm sure it'll do ext2/3

might still want to double check, though.
Find qtparted. It's very good, and I've heard is similar to partition magic. (I've only tried qtparted.) Even if it isn't, it's still very good.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Quote:Original post by Preacher
-> / = 4G (which is now full)
-> /home = 17G
-> generic = 17G
-> 1G swap

On the same drive? Ouch. This might be difficult.

You can resize the right edge of the partition, but the left edge is usually pretty fixed. What you might be able to do is make home really small and the move it into a new spot (probably completely beyond where home is now), then resize /, then move home back, then resize home back to however big you want it.

Changing the start of partitions is not easy. Changing the end is.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Well, since you need more space for apps you install.. I assume you are installing them to /opt or /usr/local? (I am no linux expert)

Anyways, you could just link that dir to a dir stored on the generic partition, cause anything installed to those dirs shouldn't be needed for boot or anything.

You'd have to move the other previously installed apps, but I don't think that should be too much trouble.
------------------------------------------------------------// TODO: Insert clever comment here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement