Sign in to follow this  

question on inheretance in C++

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

if i define a class like this class A{ private: int a; public: int b; protected: int c; }; now when i like to create a class that inherits from class A i write a class like this class B:public A{ }; then class B inherits the public and proctected attributes of class A. But what if i write my class B like this? 1.) class B:private A{ }; or maybe something like this 2.) class B:protected A{ }; what attributes are inherited in class B using class declaration in 1. and also in 2.? or can somebody just explain to me the use of access modifiers when writing a class that inherits from a super class.. thanks peace all rulz

Quote:
Original post by yuppies

class A{

private:
int a;
public: int b;

protected: int c;
};

1.)
class B : private A {

};

private inheritance makes all of the super-type's i.e A's public & protected members private in sub-types scope i.e B.

unrelated & related types cannot access A::a, A::b, A::c from type B. If you wont to make any public/proctected members of a super-type acessable to unrelated or sub-types of B then you use the using declaration in the appropriate place i.e. public or protected.

Private inheritance makes no is-a relationship and is equivalent to composition so it makes a has-a relationship i.e. B has-a A.

Quote:
Original post by yuppies
or maybe something like this
2.)
class B : protected A {

};

protected inheritance makes all public & proctected members of a super-type i.e A protected in the scope of sub-types i.e. B.

unrelated types can access public members of the super-type i.e. A's member b but cannot access it through B as its now a protected member of B again If you wont to make any public/proctected members of a super-type accessable to unrelated or sub-types of B then you use the using declaration in the appropriate place i.e. public or protected. related types (sub-types of B) automatically do have access.

in all cases private members of the super-type i.e A's private members are not accesssable to unrelated or related type in anyway (unless you make a friend-ship [smile]).

[Edited by - snk_kid on September 15, 2004 4:32:31 AM]

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.