Graphic Resolutions

Started by
5 comments, last by Telastyn 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'm new to all this -- so please excuse if this is a stupid question that I'd probably work out on my own in due course... I've done a sprite for my 2D platformer. He looks great. I did him in photoshop in 1920x???? -- a high res, anyway. In lower resolutions in the desktop, he looks a little more rubbish. My question is this: when doing sprites, what resolution should I be working in - very very high or very very low?! Cheers, Dan
Dan Marshallwww.gibbage.co.ukhttp://gibbage.blogspot.com
Advertisement
Hi Dan,

You should use the resolution you need : a single pixel in your sprite should map to a single pixel on the screen. Therefore, using a very high res image is not a good idea.

If you are targetting multi-resolution then you should test your sprite in all he needed resolution in order to see wether the sprite looks good or not.

Regards,
Thanks.

If I work in 1280x 1024, that should be acceptable for most peoples computers, right?
Dan Marshallwww.gibbage.co.ukhttp://gibbage.blogspot.com
I agree, for sprites you want to use a WYSIWYG method, otherwise when you and if you scale your sprite it might look too aliased and you might loose some of your transparent background color or your masking color.
maybe not, I have a 17" monitor and i like to run 1024x768, so your going to get people who have a 15" monitor wanting to run at 800X600 which is a big jump from 1280x 1024.

Try adding a couple of different resolutions so people can choose.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Yes, I'd suggest that 1280x1024 is much too high a resolution for the average user! A large proportion of internet users still browse at 800x600... I don't think you can safely make the requirements of your game much higher than that!

However, you can allow different resolutions on different computers... just make sure that the game will run on 800x600 at the very least!

Ryan
--Visit the Game Programming Wiki!
I've seen far far too many dev teams rended limb from limb because of not supporting fans' preferred resolution. [take a look at the moo3 boards. Even before everyone realised the game was a steaming pile (though I still think it's slightly better than that), most everyone was taking the team to task for making it a fixed resolution only] Currently, I design around a "maximum" resolution, and make art for that. Currently it's 1600x1200. If anyone wants to run over that, they can deal with fuzzy sprites. Anything less than that, I'll scale the images down, or at the very worst do post processing to make them smaller. Post processing can't really make an image larger.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement