Which engine to choose?

Started by
1 comment, last by Aaron71771 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, Which engine should I choose? I am starting a project where we need to build a virtual world, and insert/identify/hide/show/move/scale objects, change attributes etc. We need an engine that allows FAST development of rather simple virtual worlds, preferably using up-to-date technology. We are working on Windows XP using Visual Studio .NET. Mainly we have used OpenGL for 3D programming, but are interested in looking into other languages. Both commercial and open source engines are of interest. Any suggestions? -There are WAY TOO MANY to choose from.... Thanks, Torbjørn
Advertisement
Check out the Ogre engine. Its a very well designed, open source engine. It has extensive documentation and a very active community. If you have a firm grasp of C++ I would easily imagine you could go from downloading the SDK to having a simple world with objects in few hours work.

If you prefer C#/.NET to C++, check out theAxiom engine, its a .NET port of the Ogre engine.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
You might want to check out Torque over at Garagegames.com. It's a pretty feature rich game engine. You can download the demo and use to to create mission, import objects and even learn the engine's scripting language.

Just launch the demo and press [F11] to get into the world editor. Form there you can play/tweak the engine all you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement