mesh LOD

Started by
5 comments, last by Promit 19 years, 7 months ago
What are the best mesh LOD algorithm ???
Advertisement
With D3DX you can use progressive meshes and the TrimByVertices() and OptimizeBaseLOD() methods of the ID3DXPMesh interface.
I use openGL. I also want do not draw Some parts tha are not ir frustum.
Quote:Original post by Phreak_
I also want do not draw Some parts tha are not ir frustum.

That's not really relevant to LoD.

Do you want to do LoD on everything, or just for specific geometry? For example, if it's heightmap terrain LoD, there are many assumptions and optimizations you can make.

Th "best" algorithm depends very much on what you're doing. So you need to be more specific.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
For terrain I use GeoMipMapping, I whant to know what to use for other meshes like Buildings, cars and etc...
Well...

In general, there are a couple solutions. You could create low, mid, and high poly versions of each model (this would be up to your artists). Then, it would simply be a matter of selecting the best model at render time.

There are also various LoD algorithms as well as libraries to do this sort of stuff. I'm not terribly familiar with this field, but when of my professors is heading work on a system called GLOD that could do LoD for all sorts of models.

(It actually seems likely that I'll be doing research work on GLOD in the near future.)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Actually, one technqiue does come to mind. If your models are composed of lots of sub models, you can alpha fade certain sub models as the view distance increases. When the alpha for a sub model hits 0, don't render it at all.

It's a fairly crude technique, but useful in some situations. For example, you could remove the wheels and windows of a car at long distances like this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement