Sign in to follow this  

pBuffer (Pixel Buffer) problem

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello ! I have a problem with the pixel buffer as render-to target with the NVidia driver series 6X.XX. The bug is NOT present in the 5X.XX versions. It works with drivers like version 56.72 Some details describing the bug : - I already know 3 people with different 3D cards where this bug occurs (for example GeForce FX 5900XT) - The bug only occurs on drivers with a 6X.XX version and maybe only on FX cards cause it does not occur on a GeForce3 with 6X.XX driver - The bug leads to a graphic error on graphic operations/effects done by rendering to a pixel buffer - The bug does not occur if : a) A driver version of the 5X.XX series is installed or b) MultiSampling Anti-Aliasing is enabled by the Application or c) The WS_BORDER style is NOT used for the dwstyle parameter in the WinAPI function CreateWindow/CreateWindowEx(dwExstyle, WindowClass, ApplicationName, dwstyle, 0, 0,...); (in other words if the application runs in window mode and not in faster fullscreen mode the bug is also not present) Please let me know what you think about this, do you have same problem or heard about it ? I already wrote to nvidia but maybe you know this problem ? I don't understand why this bug does not occur if I run in window mode OR if I actiave anti aliasing in my program. And if I use an older driver of the 5X.XX version the bug is also not present no matter if I enable anti aliasing or use window or fullscreen mode. This is so strange =( Thx for any help/suggestions :) Best greetings, Megelan

I'm using a pbuffer with render-to-texture with the latest nVidia drivers, but I haven't tried it in full-screen mode. I'm also using a floating point render target, which definitely behaves differently from a more normal one.

In any case, when I had a driver problem with GLSL, I contacted nVidia's developer tech support, and they came back with an answer pretty quickly. Unfortunately the answer was that it was a bug in the driver, and I'll have to wait until the next release. But at least I made their driver team aware of it (they hadn't seen this one yet), and it got them to start working on fixing it.

If their tech support can't show you a way to fix it right away, my recommendation for now would be to add the border style and position the window so the the border sits outside the screen or go back to the older driver version until they fix it in the newer one.

You could also use an ATI card for a while. I have one of each at the same level (ATI and nVidia), and I find it funny how many weird problems I've had with each of them, and how many weird things I've had to do in my code to work around them. For each extension they each have their own limitations/problems, and they never have the same ones.

For floating point textures, ATI doesn't support rectangular textures but nVidia ONLY supports rectangular textures. Strangely enough, the nVidia limitation was worse for my case because GLSL doesn't seem to support rectangular textures yet. The sampler2DRect keyword is reserved as a future keyword. Oh well, I also find it amusing that Cg works better on ATI cards than GLSL. I guess it's just because it's been around longer.

Which email address did you use? Or did you just enter it into a form on the web site? If you entered it into a web form, they may not get to it as quickly.

Since my problem was with GLSL, I used "glsl-support +at+ nvidia.com". I found that email address while searching for GLSL samples on their web site. They not only helped me figure out my GLSL problem, but they also helped with some other OpenGL problems I was having.

You may be able to get away with using the one I just mentioned. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, try one of the email addresses on this page:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/contact_us.html

If you leave a web form and it's a problem they already know about, it may not be a high priority to them to reply. If you send them an email, they should at least send some reply.

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.