Sign in to follow this  

Some questions about game composing

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have been composing my entire life and just recently got a new keyboard, a yamaha es 7, for those wandering. Anyway, I want to have a reason to use it, and also love composing, so decided to try composing for a game. Any suggestions before I go around looking for a project? Oh, and does anyone know a place where I can load my already composed songs onto the internet so people can hear them without me sending them through e-mail? And one more thing, I have issues with air, whenever I record somthing it will either have to much air, or will be to distorted, I can't for the life of me find a balance, I have spent about 5 hours collectively trying to figure it out, no lukc, any suggestions?

To sharpen my game composition skills I take different types of games (RPG, Racing, FPS, etc...) and mute the TV (I have a PS2 and XBox) and see if I could come up with anything that sounds good with them. I found this to be a great way to come up with decent songs to show off to potential projects. When i'm on a project I usually wait until a playable demo or a movie of gameplay is available before I start composing. Game music is no good if it doesn't match the game. :)

I'm not sure about the air problem though. Sounds like you have a draft somewhere. :)

You should be more specific about the "air" problem ... anyway I would use a sound reduction unit/plugin very carefully, as it generally ends up distorting the sound more than removing noise. Maybe try to use it only on individual tracks

For webhosting I use this:
www.freewebtown.com
it really dosn't have a practical method to transferring files (you have to move them one by one), but you get 1Gb for free, so ...
You can post your music on communities like ctgmusic.com, get reviews, have your song placed on charts and so on

Guest Anonymous Poster
I am new to the technical side of composing, so maybe "white noise" is what I am talknig about, you know that sound in the background when you hear a recording of an orchestra or something? Like, it sounds like it's just recording some empty space along with the orchestra? It's like that, I think the comp volume is to low, but I have tried making it louder, doesn't seem to affect anything. Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.