Taking a screenshot

Started by
10 comments, last by Jareds411 19 years, 7 months ago
How do I take a screenshot in c++ and save it to a specified file? Thanks. :D
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Jareds411
How do I take a screenshot in c++ and save it to a specified file? Thanks. :D

You can't take a screenshot via standard C++ code, as C++ has no standard way of rendering. Do you mean how to take a screenshot in a 3D API, like OpenGL, or Direct3D? If so, I suggest that you search google with "OpenGL" (or "Direct3D"), "C++" and "screenshot" as keywords, and you should be able to find information.

Otherwise, if you want to take a screenshot of a running program, you're going to have to check into the win32 API. See MSDN.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
I don't want to take a screenshot of a specific program. I want to take a screenshot of the entire screen as the user sees it from the winapi.
Check the MSDN documentation or google Win32 Screenshot code or something similar
gib.son
I've been looking for a couple days, and I'm not really understanding what they're saying. I'd really appreciate it if someone could post the barebones code to take a screenshot.
Do you mean the whole desktop, or just your program output?
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
I want exactly what the user is seeing, not just one program. So, the whole desktop I guess.
you sir are in luck, but it's mostly a lot of sloppy msdn code. i haven't had a chance to work it down into a tight function yet.
#include <windows.h>void CreateBMPFile(HWND hwnd, LPTSTR pszFile, PBITMAPINFO pbi,                   HBITMAP hBMP, HDC hDC);PBITMAPINFO CreateBitmapInfoStruct(HBITMAP hBmp);int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int){	// Create a normal DC and a memory DC for the entire screen. The 	// normal DC provides a "snapshot" of the screen contents. The 	// memory DC keeps a copy of this "snapshot" in the associated 	// bitmap.  	HDC hdcScreen = CreateDC("DISPLAY", NULL, NULL, NULL); 	HDC hdcCompatible = CreateCompatibleDC(hdcScreen);  	// Create a compatible bitmap for hdcScreen.  	HBITMAP hbmScreen = CreateCompatibleBitmap(hdcScreen,                      GetDeviceCaps(hdcScreen, HORZRES),                      GetDeviceCaps(hdcScreen, VERTRES));  	if (hbmScreen == 0) 		MessageBox(NULL, "hbmScreen", "Error", MB_OK); 	// Select the bitmaps into the compatible DC.  	if (!SelectObject(hdcCompatible, hbmScreen)) 		MessageBox(NULL, "Compatible Bitmap Selection", "Error", MB_OK); 		 //Copy color data for the entire display into a 		 //bitmap that is selected into a compatible DC.  			if (!BitBlt(hdcCompatible, 				   0,0, 				   GetDeviceCaps(hdcScreen, HORZRES), GetDeviceCaps(hdcScreen, VERTRES), 				   hdcScreen, 				   0,0, 				   SRCCOPY))  			MessageBox(NULL, "Screen to Compat Blt Failed", "Error", MB_OK); 			PBITMAPINFO pBitmapInfo = CreateBitmapInfoStruct(hbmScreen);			CreateBMPFile(NULL, "test.bmp", pBitmapInfo,                   hbmScreen, hdcScreen);	return 0;}PBITMAPINFO CreateBitmapInfoStruct(HBITMAP hBmp){     BITMAP bmp;     PBITMAPINFO pbmi;     WORD    cClrBits;     // Retrieve the bitmap color format, width, and height.     if (!GetObject(hBmp, sizeof(BITMAP), (LPSTR)&bmp))  		MessageBox(NULL, "error", "Error", MB_OK);    // Convert the color format to a count of bits.     cClrBits = (WORD)(bmp.bmPlanes * bmp.bmBitsPixel);     if (cClrBits == 1)         cClrBits = 1;     else if (cClrBits <= 4)         cClrBits = 4;     else if (cClrBits <= 8)         cClrBits = 8;     else if (cClrBits <= 16)         cClrBits = 16;     else if (cClrBits <= 24)         cClrBits = 24;     else cClrBits = 32;     // Allocate memory for the BITMAPINFO structure. (This structure     // contains a BITMAPINFOHEADER structure and an array of RGBQUAD     // data structures.)      if (cClrBits != 24)          pbmi = (PBITMAPINFO) LocalAlloc(LPTR,                     sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER) +                     sizeof(RGBQUAD) * (1<< cClrBits));      // There is no RGBQUAD array for the 24-bit-per-pixel format.      else          pbmi = (PBITMAPINFO) LocalAlloc(LPTR,                     sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER));     // Initialize the fields in the BITMAPINFO structure.     pbmi->bmiHeader.biSize = sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER);     pbmi->bmiHeader.biWidth = bmp.bmWidth;     pbmi->bmiHeader.biHeight = bmp.bmHeight;     pbmi->bmiHeader.biPlanes = bmp.bmPlanes;     pbmi->bmiHeader.biBitCount = bmp.bmBitsPixel;     if (cClrBits < 24)         pbmi->bmiHeader.biClrUsed = (1<<cClrBits);     // If the bitmap is not compressed, set the BI_RGB flag.     pbmi->bmiHeader.biCompression = BI_RGB;     // Compute the number of bytes in the array of color     // indices and store the result in biSizeImage.     // For Windows NT, the width must be DWORD aligned unless     // the bitmap is RLE compressed. This example shows this.     // For Windows 95/98/Me, the width must be WORD aligned unless the     // bitmap is RLE compressed.    pbmi->bmiHeader.biSizeImage = ((pbmi->bmiHeader.biWidth * cClrBits +31) & ~31) /8                                  * pbmi->bmiHeader.biHeight;     // Set biClrImportant to 0, indicating that all of the     // device colors are important.      pbmi->bmiHeader.biClrImportant = 0;      return pbmi;  }void CreateBMPFile(HWND hwnd, LPTSTR pszFile, PBITMAPINFO pbi,                   HBITMAP hBMP, HDC hDC)  {      HANDLE hf;                 // file handle     BITMAPFILEHEADER hdr;       // bitmap file-header     PBITMAPINFOHEADER pbih;     // bitmap info-header     LPBYTE lpBits;              // memory pointer     DWORD dwTotal;              // total count of bytes     DWORD cb;                   // incremental count of bytes     BYTE *hp;                   // byte pointer     DWORD dwTmp;     pbih = (PBITMAPINFOHEADER) pbi;     lpBits = (LPBYTE) GlobalAlloc(GMEM_FIXED, pbih->biSizeImage);    if (!lpBits)  		 MessageBox(NULL, "GlobalAlloc", "Error", MB_OK);    // Retrieve the color table (RGBQUAD array) and the bits     // (array of palette indices) from the DIB.     if (!GetDIBits(hDC, hBMP, 0, (WORD) pbih->biHeight, lpBits, pbi,         DIB_RGB_COLORS))     {		MessageBox(NULL, "GetDIBits", "Error", MB_OK);    }    // Create the .BMP file.     hf = CreateFile(pszFile,                    GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE,                    (DWORD) 0,                     NULL,                    CREATE_ALWAYS,                    FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,                    (HANDLE) NULL);     if (hf == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)  		MessageBox(NULL, "CreateFile", "Error", MB_OK);    hdr.bfType = 0x4d42;        // 0x42 = "B" 0x4d = "M"     // Compute the size of the entire file.     hdr.bfSize = (DWORD) (sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER) +                  pbih->biSize + pbih->biClrUsed                  * sizeof(RGBQUAD) + pbih->biSizeImage);     hdr.bfReserved1 = 0;     hdr.bfReserved2 = 0;     // Compute the offset to the array of color indices.     hdr.bfOffBits = (DWORD) sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER) +                     pbih->biSize + pbih->biClrUsed                     * sizeof (RGBQUAD);     // Copy the BITMAPFILEHEADER into the .BMP file.     if (!WriteFile(hf, (LPVOID) &hdr, sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER),         (LPDWORD) &dwTmp,  NULL))     {		MessageBox(NULL, "error", "Error", MB_OK);    }    // Copy the BITMAPINFOHEADER and RGBQUAD array into the file.     if (!WriteFile(hf, (LPVOID) pbih, sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER)                   + pbih->biClrUsed * sizeof (RGBQUAD),                   (LPDWORD) &dwTmp, ( NULL)))  		MessageBox(NULL, "error", "Error", MB_OK);    // Copy the array of color indices into the .BMP file.     dwTotal = cb = pbih->biSizeImage;     hp = lpBits;     if (!WriteFile(hf, (LPSTR) hp, (int) cb, (LPDWORD) &dwTmp,NULL))    		   MessageBox(NULL, "error", "Error", MB_OK);    // Close the .BMP file.      if (!CloseHandle(hf))  		   MessageBox(NULL, "error", "Error", MB_OK);    // Free memory.     GlobalFree((HGLOBAL)lpBits);}

may not clear anything up, but it will get the job done.
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
I tried to compile that under Dev-C++ and got this error message:

C:\DOCUME~1\JAREDJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccYDdaaa.o: In function `CreateBitmapInfoStruct(HBITMAP__ *)':
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:56: undefined reference to `GetObjectA@12'
C:\DOCUME~1\JAREDJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccYDdaaa.o: In function `CreateBMPFile(HWND__ *, char *, tagBITMAPINFO *, HBITMAP__ *, HDC__ *)':
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:137: undefined reference to `GetDIBits@28'
C:\DOCUME~1\JAREDJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccYDdaaa.o: In function `WinMain':
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:14: undefined reference to `CreateDCA@16'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:15: undefined reference to `CreateCompatibleDC@4'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:19: undefined reference to `GetDeviceCaps@8'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:19: undefined reference to `GetDeviceCaps@8'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:19: undefined reference to `CreateCompatibleBitmap@12'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:28: undefined reference to `SelectObject@8'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:38: undefined reference to `GetDeviceCaps@8'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:38: undefined reference to `GetDeviceCaps@8'
//c/docume~1/jaredj~1/desktop/screen~1.cpp:38: undefined reference to `BitBlt@36'

It seems you dont' have DX setup properly for the use of those functions? I'm know you use DevC++ though (by the errors) and that's beyond my expertise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement