Engine definition

Started by
5 comments, last by Rafael Takamatsu 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi everybody.... i´ve just registered my self to gamedev.net.... the first thing i really whant to know is if someone can trully define what is a game engine. i´ve seen diferent definitions for it on the net... some of them conflitant... and can anyone give me some ideas of what i need to develop... what types of functions do i need to put inside my engine!? well for now thats all... thanks
Advertisement
Welcome to gamedev!

I, myslef, am a begginer, but I think I can help you. I game engine is the underlying code that powers the game(at least thats my undertstanding) try google'ing "what is a game engine" that should help. also, are you new to programming? making an engine is a little more then a few functions. Hope that helps!
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
The problem with the answers you have received has less to do with the fact that they themselves conflict, but rather that the question is actually ambiguous. In the generalist of terms, and engine (and further narrowed down to a software engine) is a collection of code whose purpose is to collect and process data.

That is it. Of course, the last part of your question beckons that you are looking for a more 'detailed' answer to the engine question. The problem with defining that in general terms is no one knows what your "engine's" purpose is all about. Is the design to be data driven? Is it platform independent? Is it raster API (openGL/DX) independent? Will it have an integrated UI for level design or does it import these from other tools? Does it need to interface with databases (MMPORG)? Does it require networking support? Will it need to support journaling as a debug tool (Xwing-TieFighter) or as a game feature (Prince of Persia)? etc...

All of these questions or "design decisions" will affect what the concept and purpose of your engine will be. There really is no complete correct answer to the question as it is subjective in nature. The engine for Doom and Unreal basically do the same things (as stated in my first definition) but the detailed answer is far different. So while it is seldom considered any fun, I would draft out what your project will be, what it will do, how you will troubleshoot it and debug it, and what service level features (scripting, integrated tools, etc..) it will have. This will in turn give you a better idea of *what* the engine will be on your terms vice someone else's.

Hope that helps...

#dth-0

"C and C++ programmers seem to think that the shortest distance between two points is the great circle route on a spherical distortion of Euclidean space."Stephen Dewhurst
A few functions?? The game engine is the biggest part of the game.
The words "game engine" is a really broad term. Just like a car engine there are many parts that make a whole. The engine would for the most part take care of all the renderings, loading levels, user input and just about everything else in the game has something that controls it which in turn is controlled by the engine. To actually define a core engine would be hard because every game is designed differently. For instance in 2d games, there are a lot of similarities between games that would enable you to use a good 2d engine to produce a few different games(a side scroller vs a vertical shooter for instance). Same with 3D games.

For the most part if your new to game programming in general don't worry too much about it, since writing an engine itself, while not one of the hardest things, just takes time to learn.

Anywyas, good luck!
well... ok...
i think i´m starting to get what it´s all about...
but... what i can really can´t see yet is how can i create a engine code that is independent of my game!?
in all my tries until now... the code i developed is totaled based on the game proposal... i can´t use almost nothing on other projecs...
i don´t know... maibe thats because the size of the projects...
maybe when they get bigger it will be easyer to get it separeted..
well... thats it..
thanks guys!
Quote:Original post by Rafael Takamatsu
but... what i can really can´t see yet is how can i create a engine code that is independent of my game!?

code a game and don't think about this. after you're done, code another similar game and try to make use of your pre-existing code. then you'll know what the engine is: "the code that is common between 2 games of the same type". seriously, it's not worth bothering about this now. it's like trying to worry about what the definition of an integral is if you don't even know addition yet.

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine
it's like trying to worry about what the definition of an integral is if you don't even know addition yet.

well... i never tought about that...
maybe u r right...
i´ll try to finish a project and then try to recode it as a new code...
can work... let´s see...
thanks man!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement