Sign in to follow this  

DirectX book sugegstions???

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Someone want to refer to me a book for learning DirectX? I know basic C++ from Michael Dawson's Beginnign C++ Game Programming. Should I get the Course PTR one Beginning DirectX 9.0. I'm completely new to DirectX outside DarkBasic.

If you want to pay $50 for a generalized DirectX book, go ahead. However, in my opinion, tutorials on the internet cover the same material, are free, and take less time to move through. You can find a listing of quality sites here.

Specifically, Drunken Hyena, Andy Pike, and CodeSampler are excellent.

The only thing I have bought DirectX books for are for shader programming (the ShaderX2 series), and for GPU-intensive effects (Nvidia's GPU Gems). All other information is readily available on tutorial sites, other websites, online papers, or right here on Gamedev.

Yeah, online tutorials are fine to start with. Eventually you will want to do some more complicated stuff though, and a book might be neccesary. I do have a few programming books, but those are because of a lack of net resources (Managed DX for one).

Some poeople do learn better by reading the book, and that is fine as log as youare willing to pay for it. Have you checked the books section on this site? I would check out some of those books and read the reviews and see ikf you really need it and it fits your skill level.

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D. Luna is one of my favorite DX9 resources. It introduces coders to matrices, vectors, planes, and the DX9 coordinate system. then it goes through collision volumes, creating meshes, *simple* terrains, shaders, and effect files. it's off da hizzy...

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.