Arcade game: PacDasher 1.0 RC

Started by
7 comments, last by java_oranda 19 years, 6 months ago
PacDasher 1.0 RC is now available at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pacdasher/pacdasher_1_0_rc.zip?download It is free for unlimited non-commercial use. You will need to get the latest Java to get it working: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp It can also be played from the Web: http://www.oranda.com/java/pacdasher/pacdasherVariety.jnlp Hope you enjoy the game! Any problems, mail code@oranda.com.
Advertisement
Tip: Might wanna add some screenshot links to this post, and a discription about what the game is about if you want more people to try it out. Great to see games being released tho!

Lead Coder/Game Designer for Brutal Nature: http://BrutalNature.com

Hope this HTML markup works...

hey! though i like the graphics, doesn't each ghost get it's own seeking algorithm? and the side escapes don't slow the ghost down. there is a slight control issue, but not sure it is preventable in Java. if you're making a port, go "warts and all" i say. other than that it's a great port. ratings++
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
OK, slowdown at the side exits is going into the final release.

What do you mean about a control issue? In some earlier versions there was delayed keyboard input and I tracked that back to bad performance. Can you check that your CPU isn't maxing out while you're playing the game.

And yes, every ghost does get its own seeking algorithm. Maybe you saw more variance in the original, I don't know.

James
whoops. and i forgot to rate you... there you go buddy. ok, no, my P4 1.6Ghz is only losing about 34-41% to your app, but it still handles odd. are you using swing? seems like i had simular problems with swing, but it's been a while since i did any Java.

the seeking algos look a little simular at close range from the original. they basically stay on your ass till the controls delay and get you offed :P of course the slowing outs would help here as well. did you study the original algos to do this or did you come up with your own?
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
won't run on my mac using java 1.4.2_05-141
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
anist: I am just using an AWT Frame and drawing as much as possible myself. I tried Swing and decided it was just overhead for this. As for the algorithms, I looked at some descriptions and implemented things like Scatter Mode -- at intervals the ghosts don't chase you at all actually. But it's not going to be an exact match. I doubt if the original algorithms are even published.

By the way PacDasher has 8 levels rather than the original 255, and it's feasible to complete all 8.

daviangel: I'm sorry to hear it's not working on the Mac, because I originally did the 1.4 version to support the Mac. I have it working with 1.4 on Linux and Windows. I'm assuming you're using the run14 script -- possibly it needs to be tweaked a bit for the Mac. I don't know; I don't have a Mac. I did the 1.4 code with the Retroweaver tool which takes 1.5 bytecode and transforms it to 1.4 bytecode.

James
I have released PacDasher 1.1, which wraps the SAX parsing of XML mazes with JDOM. This makes the code a lot cleaner and extensible, and there has been no discernible performance penalty.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement