Sparklies...again

Started by
19 comments, last by mikiex 19 years, 7 months ago
hi, i've noticed this artifacts in my scene after exporting from 3DMax, if you look at the pictures you'll see that most of them appear near the lines on the wall/ground. Those are faces detached from a mesh in max. It's not Z fighting and it shouldn't be any T-junction problem either. Any ideeas? Thank you. Artifact 1 Artifact 2
Advertisement
I get a forbidden error when trying to view those images.
______________________________________what we do in life, echoes in eternity
Paste the link into your address bar and hit enter. Then it should work.

Kyle
How do you know its not Z-fighting?
You haven't overclocked your video card have you? I've heard you can get those kind of artifacts if you push things too far.
well i guess it's not Z-fighting since i'm close, 24bit Depth Buffer, Close plane set at 1 and far plane it's close at about 150 (actually in the game will be at about 600 but makes no difference in this case). And my video card it's not overclocked. I'm using a Radeon 9000 DDR. Any ideeas? Thanks.

PS. sorry for the screen shots but i don't have anywhere else to put them. just open in a new window.
It's really hard to tell by the screenshots, but are the yellow stripes part of the tunnel textures and part of the road or is the yellow stripe a seperate texture mapped onto geometry overlaid onto the road and tunnel sides.

It's hard to say why this might be happening without some more information to go on.
Quote:Original post by pasman
hi, i've noticed this artifacts in my scene after exporting from 3DMax, if you look at the pictures you'll see that most of them appear near the lines on the wall/ground. Those are faces detached from a mesh in max. It's not Z fighting and it shouldn't be any T-junction problem either. Any ideeas? Thank you.

Artifact 1
Artifact 2

I can't see your images so I'm taking a random shot in the dark here. Sparklies sometimes occur when you have multisampling enabled and the pixel shader is interpolating using center sampling to determine pixel locations. While this type of interpolation is correct for texture coordinates it isn't correct for things like colors or vertex normals, etc. If any of this sounds vaugly applicable to your situation, try enabling centroid sampling. In D3D this is an interpolant modifier in the pixel shader.

--Chris
looks like the edges are not sharing the exact same vertice posiitons.

if (you're using OpenGL)  if (you have an ATI card)    if (you're using some extension)      couldBe->a_driver_problem();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement