Looking for high quality game sound fx

Started by
1 comment, last by firewindshadow 19 years, 7 months ago
Having some problem looking for high quality sound fx to be used in game. Quick google searches comes up with a lot of non-related (woman screaming, flush toilet) and are also low quality; 8-bit mono samples. I remember about a year back hearing about a 3 dvd set sound fx that are specifical used in the major game and film companies (if I recall correctly, it also include the original doom and light saber sfx...). If someone could point me to some good links or direction on where I can find good samples would be really appreciated.
Advertisement
Here is a link to the Tommy Tallarico SFX kit.
http://soundeffects.com/sfxkitforgaa.html
also,
The 800 Pound Gorilla of SFX: www.sound-ideas.com

Alternately, try getting just what you need from
www.sounddogs.com

Thirdly, you could hire an existing company (like mine)to provide sound effects to you according to your specifications.

You could also post for any number of designers attempting to break into the industry who I'm sure would be willing to work for credit +$1 (I sure have). Make sure you sign a contract, though...

Anything you download for free off the web, whatever the quality, is not guaranteed to be royalty free (even if it says it is).
Even the CDs you buy in record stores do not have a release allowing an end user to synchronize the audio to visuals or redistribute in any way.

You might be able to get away with the downloading free effects off the web, but I would advise strongly against it. It is in no way professional and can run you into serious legal snags down the road, as IP ownership cannot be passed cleanly to a publisher (since there are stipulations as to the use of the effects which the publisher can/will not abide by)

Have fun with it!

Michael Klinowski
Shinnyo Interactive Audio
Awesome!

>> Anything you download for free off the web, whatever the quality, is not guaranteed to be royalty free (even if it says it is).

Point taken, right now I'm just looking for some sfx to be used in a demo reel clip as a proposal to the guys upstair at work.

The SFX kit is just what I need! But the price is a more than I can afford to spend right now... definately will consider purchasing it next year though.

In the previous game company I've worked for, we outsourced the sfx and in-game music to a locally known DJ, paid him a hefty fee, modified the contract 4 times (his agent claimed the music could not be played in public live shows), and ended up using only about 30% of the work; very bad experience.

I'm trying to learn basic game music composition and sfx mixing, therefore no outsourcing job at the momment.

Thanks for the advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement