Sign in to follow this  

Direct input using COM in 2 different apps

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I would like to separate the device input control from the actual 3D rendering in 2 different applications. - 1 app (A) for device control (send the input B) - 1 app (B) for actual 3D rendering (send back the updated position to A) I would like to use the COM model to communicate between the two apps. I could create different components for different kind of devices.Any advice on that ? I have just started learning COMs. What's the best way to do that ? Thanks for your help Eric http://eric.boissard.free.fr

It sounds to me like threads are what you're looking for. With a technique called 'Multithreading' the input and rendering are not in truly independent applications but they execute 'simultaneously' so that your input doesn't die if your frame rate is terrible and if DI has some difficulty your rendering still occurs. I can't think of any reason why you'd want to actually entirely separate the two and something tells me this is what you're looking for. [Google for more information]

Thanks ms291052

I know it's really multithreading, I agree, but I really need to separate into 2 apps. We are even planning a distributed version. I know that I could use tcp/ip for the distributed version, but apparently COM is a good idea too. I had a look in google of couse, but COM is quite complex to learn. I think my main problem is with COM now...especially how to communicate and send data between processes..
The final thing would be able to replace this component by any other one to be able to use easily any kind of device.

Thanks for helping

Eric
http://eric.boissard.free.fr

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.