Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Why C#?

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I have to admit, I have never used C#. I have never studied it. I have just heard "rumors". When C# came out, I heard it was just Microsofts attempt to recreate Java. Now I see that C# seems to be coming strong and I wonder what makes the C# so much better than Java (or is it better)? What are the key differences? Or is C++ more appropriate for the comparison?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Think up a project and develop it in both languages. Once you're done you'll never want to use Java again. Why? Because developing in C# is just... nicer. Everything is more polished, tools are better, language is better, API is better, documentation is better, support for existing codebase is better. It's not one particular revolutionary feature that makes C# more appealing but a combination of well thought out evolutionary improvements. Use it and see for yourself.

Quote:

When C# came out, I heard it was just Microsofts attempt to recreate Java.

You'll hear that alot, but that is grossly over simplifying the reasons behind C#.

Quote:

Now I see that C# seems to be coming strong and I wonder what makes the C# so much better than Java (or is it better)? What are the key differences? Or is C++ more appropriate for the comparison?

I don't think it is better than Java - they are similar in some respects, but even the C# designer suggests that C++ is a closer relative. However there are some superficial similarities that make this a simple and descriptive comparison.

They are different tools for different jobs.

Now - why do I like C#. I think, even though it is a relatively young language, it feels quite complete. Its very nice to program in, and has a very comprehensive class library. Coupled with the .NET framework it makes windows development a breeze. When coding Win32 apps, the GUI elements feel more responsive than Java (could just be my imagination though!). Oh and versioning is nice too, and I love the self documenting nature of C# (although I know Java has this too).

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.