Sign in to follow this  

Low Poly Male WIP

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please post feedback on this low-poly male mesh. He is budgeted at 1400 triangles, with another 1600 available for clothes, hair, possessions. He'll be used as a template and modified to match various concepts, so much of the geometry will be reworked in any specific implementation. However, as a template, the edge-looping, anatomical proportion, animation/deformation should be perfected at this stage. Thanks in advance for helping me to do so. wire-front-01.jpg wire-left-01.jpg

The front looks pretty good. :) From the side, though, The body is too thick front-to-back from the ankle up through the waist, and also the neck. The hand is too small, and the wrist too long. W'd probably need a close-up of the head and hand to be able to comment on them in more detail.

Guest Anonymous Poster
looks alright. I mean I don't see really anything techinically wrong and sounds like you got the poly count you want. I'd just re-work the overall shape, it seems off in certain places, just use your creative eye, references are good.
As a personal hint, you may have reasons for your way of doing it but I like to model humanoid characters with the arms 90 degrees to the body (straight out) palms down (or foreward whatever I feel like, usually down) the reason for the arm position is because if you model it with the arms slightly down as you have you may find deformation problems when you go to move the arm to a higher position, the higher amount of polies you have at the top may crunch in and concave eachother and look akward even at only about 90 degrees.

Otherwise good so far.

From the front view:

Yeah, I agree about the eyes. Also, the polygons making the middle of the upper and lower lips are too wide. You currently have a polygon edge wrapping around the head from the top of one eye to the other - you want to move that line down so it connects with the corner of the eye instead. Similarly the cheek line needs to move up a little.

The hands look much better. :) The biceps are not right though... an upper arm is like a teardrop shape with the big end at the top, then cinched at the widest point so that there's a dent between the two muscle groups, where people often wear an armband or get a tattoo. Maybe you should look for a source image because it's hard to describe in words.

From the side view:

The top of the neck is still too wide front to back, and narrowing it should also give your skull a bit better shape as it pulls the back of the jaw farther back. The bridge of the nose sticks out a bit too far to the front. I like the nose though, it has personality. :)

Forearm through mid upper arm should be narrower, and heel of the hand thicker. Knee and calf should probably be narrower still, as should the waist if you want a young athletic looking guy rather than a middle-aged one.

Here are the updates to the eyes, lips, brow edge loop, cheek edge loop, calf width, forearm width, neck and some other areas as per suggestions. Still awaiting recommended upper arm shaping for which I may require another edge loop.

wire-front-3
wire-left-3
wire-face-front-3
wire-face-left-3

Improvements/ideas always welcomed.

Anna - made the legs longer.

Edward - could you be more specific? Perhaps you refer to the slope of the forehead - and agree.

sunandshadow - I've added an edge loop to the upper arm. I find it still a work in progress. Perhaps the profile is approaching what it should be now.

All - I've found orthographic renderings are better for judging proportion, but if the viewer expects perspective, it can be misleading. For example, in the orthographic left views, the hand appeared to clearly be too small. But, in retrospect, that may have been because we expected it to be enlarged by perspective. Also, I'm finding hair and clothes can greatly effect our perception of the figure's proportion. I've attached a link to a quick dress-up of the model under a perspective rendering as food for thought on this topic. The dress-up matches one of my concepts which I will post at some later date. Clearly, the semi-clothed, non-bald, perspective rendering identifies new areas for concern, and obscures some of the older issues. However, it is my goal to correct as many of your issues as possible in the base mesh so as not to propogate errors in form to the all my characters.

Concept Perspective

The upper arm does look better now. :) Move the 'dent' down slightly toward the elbow, make the arm below that bulge out less, and the arm above it bulge out more, and it should be good. :) Oh, might also need to make it slightly wider where it goes into the elbow.

Next project - the neck and clavicles. From the colored pic it becomes obvious that the base of the neck is too wide, and you need an indentation or two to outline the muscle connecting the shoulder with the base of the neck.

These pics are of more muscular guys than you're doing, but they have really clearly drawn muscle groups so they might help you out: MuscleMen.de - anime

Thank you for your continued help. Looking back at the early suggestions and renderings, the changes look so obvious now. The comments are helping my work give a convincing effect.

I've tweaked the upper arm a bit. I reduced the width of the neck at the base, and still would like to reduce neck width for this implementation. Looked back at some references. Added a real texture, which created some new questions about muscle groups. For example, the pectorals are distorted. Also, will need a hand texture.

Concept Perspective 2

I noticed a few things looking at the pics.

1.) I think the reason that the legs looked long was because the torso was too long, at least that's how it looks to me. It looks like the torso should be about a half-fead shorter while keeping about the same height of the original.

2.) The eyes should have about an eyes width between them. Without a texture it's difficult to tell just where the eye would begin, but keep that in mind cuz they still looked a bit close together. Other than that, good work, I looks good so far.

Quote:
Original post by hundel
Thank you for your continued help. Looking back at the early suggestions and renderings, the changes look so obvious now. The comments are helping my work give a convincing effect.

I've tweaked the upper arm a bit. I reduced the width of the neck at the base, and still would like to reduce neck width for this implementation. Looked back at some references. Added a real texture, which created some new questions about muscle groups. For example, the pectorals are distorted. Also, will need a hand texture.

Concept Perspective 2

You're welcome. :) I know it always helps to have an editor, My own drawings have been improved a lot because others were patient enough to point out all the problems with them. I do wish you would go back to posting a front and side view where the polygons are visible in additon to the skinned version, it makes it easier to figure out what changes should be made.

Anyway, what can I say about this picture... The upperarms look good now. :) The shoulder/clavicle area still slopes down too much from the base of the neck to the top of the arm. The dent where the ribs end and the stomach begins is too low, and the belly button is too high. The eyes should perhaps be a litle larger and lowern the face, but then I'm used to looking at anime characters. I really can't see what else to suggest from this screenshot.

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.