Low Poly Male WIP

Started by
16 comments, last by sunandshadow 19 years, 6 months ago
Please post feedback on this low-poly male mesh. He is budgeted at 1400 triangles, with another 1600 available for clothes, hair, possessions. He'll be used as a template and modified to match various concepts, so much of the geometry will be reworked in any specific implementation. However, as a template, the edge-looping, anatomical proportion, animation/deformation should be perfected at this stage. Thanks in advance for helping me to do so. wire-front-01.jpg wire-left-01.jpg
Advertisement
The front looks pretty good. :) From the side, though, The body is too thick front-to-back from the ankle up through the waist, and also the neck. The hand is too small, and the wrist too long. W'd probably need a close-up of the head and hand to be able to comment on them in more detail.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Valuable comments - will update accordingly.
What sort of game/animation is this to be used in? The seperation of the index finger from the rest of the hands seems indicative of an FPS, perhaps?
It's just portfolio work at this point, Artifex.
looks alright. I mean I don't see really anything techinically wrong and sounds like you got the poly count you want. I'd just re-work the overall shape, it seems off in certain places, just use your creative eye, references are good.
As a personal hint, you may have reasons for your way of doing it but I like to model humanoid characters with the arms 90 degrees to the body (straight out) palms down (or foreward whatever I feel like, usually down) the reason for the arm position is because if you model it with the arms slightly down as you have you may find deformation problems when you go to move the arm to a higher position, the higher amount of polies you have at the top may crunch in and concave eachother and look akward even at only about 90 degrees.

Otherwise good so far.
As per above suggestions, reduced leg depth, neck depth, lengthened hand slightly. Perhaps the changes are not enough. Enlarged output. Provided close ups of head.

wire-front-2
wire-left-2
wire-front-face-2
wire-left-face-2

Thanks Anonymous - any additional specifics are appreciated.

about the face, looks like the eyes are too small and close together...
From the front view:

Yeah, I agree about the eyes. Also, the polygons making the middle of the upper and lower lips are too wide. You currently have a polygon edge wrapping around the head from the top of one eye to the other - you want to move that line down so it connects with the corner of the eye instead. Similarly the cheek line needs to move up a little.

The hands look much better. :) The biceps are not right though... an upper arm is like a teardrop shape with the big end at the top, then cinched at the widest point so that there's a dent between the two muscle groups, where people often wear an armband or get a tattoo. Maybe you should look for a source image because it's hard to describe in words.

From the side view:

The top of the neck is still too wide front to back, and narrowing it should also give your skull a bit better shape as it pulls the back of the jaw farther back. The bridge of the nose sticks out a bit too far to the front. I like the nose though, it has personality. :)

Forearm through mid upper arm should be narrower, and heel of the hand thicker. Knee and calf should probably be narrower still, as should the waist if you want a young athletic looking guy rather than a middle-aged one.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Here are the updates to the eyes, lips, brow edge loop, cheek edge loop, calf width, forearm width, neck and some other areas as per suggestions. Still awaiting recommended upper arm shaping for which I may require another edge loop.

wire-front-3
wire-left-3
wire-face-front-3
wire-face-left-3

Improvements/ideas always welcomed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement