Sign in to follow this  

Incorrect Bone Transformation in Milkshape- help!

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am working on an importer for Milkshape and have one problem with it. As far as I know milkshape expects for each bone relative position and rotation (euler angles). I extract this information from my skeleton (from matrices to vector structure- position and rotation of each bone). These parameters are relative to its parent bone (joint). Here are simple 3 bones created in 3D studio Max: then I write this info into milkshape data structure.
for( int i=0; i<NumOfBones; i++)
{
// other stuff.......
 msBone_SetPosition(pBone, *Vec_My_curr_bone_pos);  
 msBone_SetRotation(pBone, *Vec_My_curr_bone_rot);  
}

And this is what I get in milkshape: (I know my transformation is wrong) NOTE: only the first bones position (below Milkshape viewport) is correct and identical as in the above image. I am sure I have to do something with Vec_My_curr_bone_pos & Vec_My_curr_bone_rot but dont know what. I have acess to all bones so perhaps I could turn the rotations and position into matrix again and somehow subtract from the parent. I have no idea what to do :( I guess the transformations here are somehow concatenated internally in milkshape or something? any ideas?

You do know that you're working with two completely different axis systems?

Max has z axis up, while Milkshape has z axis out of screen.

I think it would be a mess to figure it all out.

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.