Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Passing unmanaged structures to managed code (C++)

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have some structures which are not managed, and I use them in a managed class. Much like this... typedef struct StuffTag { int nA; int nB; } Stuff; __gc class CClass { public: void AFunction(Stuff sIn) { // do something } void BFunction() { /* Will report an error saying that cannont convert m_sStuff into an non __gc Stuff) */ AFunction(m_sStuff); } Stuff m_sStuff; }; The thing is that if I try and pass the m_sStuff as a parameter I get an error saying unable to convert from __gc to non __gc. Along a similar line if I had a method inside CClass void DoSomething() { Stuff sNew = m_sStuff; } Would report an error because it says m_sStuff cannot be converted into sNew, because sNew is non __gc. You can fix this with Stuff __pin *spStuff = &m_sStuff; Stuff sNew = *spStuff; Yuk. I just can't believe thats the way I'm supposed to do things! So how should I be passing around by non __gc structures in managed code? Thanks! Jonathan

Try making m_sStuff a pointer. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that a managed C++ class can have a member that is an unmanaged type.

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.