Strategy game opinions from a business perspective

Started by
2 comments, last by ErikPersson 19 years, 7 months ago
Maybe this should be in the anouncments forms but I want to get your opinions of my Game from a business perspective. Does it compare with full price, mid price or budget titles? Is it possible to recive foundings for developing my game? And if so, how? What improvements do you think is required to call this a "real demo"? With a "real demo" I mean a demo that is worth showing for business peaple. The Game i am working on is a 3D realtime/turnbased strategy game. I'am curently working on the pathfinding. Feel free to try it out. an early demo can be downloaded from the projects web page URL: http://home.swipnet.se/thegame To make the units move you'll haveto press the end turn button in the bottom right corner of the screen. At this time the endturn state of the game doesent end but you can still give the units new commands that will be executed directly( for testing). In the endturn state of the game all the menues gets disabled, if you are in fullscreen mode press ALT+F4 to exit. Thanks in advance. Erik Persson
Advertisement
This is irrelevant to your questions but I was compelled to comment.
Quote:Days And Nights
Days will turn to nights as time passes, which will give the players strategic advantages/disadvantages.

Unit Vision
Your units views gets limited by hills and obstacles in the terrain. Use this against your enemies and hide in their fog of war.

Since Warcraft, I've thought a day/night system with realistic unit vision limitations would be more fun with which to interact than with Blizzard's popularization of the Fog of War, which is really just a way to compensate for a poor design. Although, I think in order to facilitate on-screen unit vision limits, the game will require dynamic Fog of War for days and nights. That is, in the day units can see further and in the night the units' nightsight is limited by environmental factors.
Quote:Original post by ErikPersson
Does it compare with full price, mid price or budget titles?
Looks like a budget game to me. To be precise it looks like a shareware game because retail budget publishers all want games that look great and are cheap (oh and finished).

Quote:Is it possible to recive foundings for developing my game?
And if so, how?
You wont get publisher funding for a full price game unless you have industry experience and an team with industry experience. You wont get funding for budget games as most budget publishers don't fund development. They work on a turnkey basis.

Quote:What improvements do you think is required to call this a "real demo"?
With a "real demo" I mean a demo that is worth showing for business peaple.
Download and check out the "Rome - Total war demo".

BTW your web site doesn't work in Mozilla/Firefox. None of the grpahics/screenshots show up.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thanks for your opinions so far.

Adraeus: Thats why I wanted to implement it. Playing in both
day and night time will give the player more strategy options.

Obscure: Okey i will take a look at "Rome - Total war demo". What in the demo gives you the impression of it being a budget or shareeware game, is it the terrain, the models, the user interface, textures etc.?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement