Sign in to follow this  

texture artist reel

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm a graphic artist trying to get into games as a texture artist. I've just finished the first version of my reel and I am looking for two things: 1) First, I would love anyone's critique on my current reel. Any advise from industry vets is especially appreciated. I'm not looking for a pat on the back here; if you are an artist who sees problems, please don't hesitate. 2) One thing I know I lack are some quality 3D character models. So, if you are a 3D modeller and would be willing to team up, I would love to texture your quality models. I get to use them in my reel, and you get to use them wherever suits you. Please feel free to email me. My work is at: www.danhaard.com/textures Flash-based for now. Still need to make a streaming version of the movie. Thanks. I know I'm new to the forum, but any help is appreciated! Dan [Edited by - Leto on September 20, 2004 12:07:33 PM]

Most of those are pretty good. :) The grass sucks though, lol. For the stone wall, the mortar should probably be less shiny and more gritty. The stump is kind of funny because there are some leaves that get cut off st the top edge. Texturing some more complex models, especially humanoids and animals, would definitely help round out your portfolio.

hey

If you're trying to do realistic materials it's not a bad thing to use sources, you'd be expected to do that at work.
Most textures look unsharp and too busy, the submarine hatch is the best example. The door also seems to be floating on the blurry backround to the lack of proper shadows.

You use the Bevel to much, you should get used to painting the shadows, bevels look pretty bad and you overuse them.
You need to go out and see how materials catch daylight. Rocks (stone wall texture) don't turn white and lose all the structure.
It looks like the bevel filter just covers the original structure of the texture and the result isn't good looking.

The controls texture... too much deepnes, would do great a for an old 2d arcade sidescroller but we're past that. You'd model the pipes and a basic console that would get skinned later.
Also, the materials/screens there don't look really convincing.
It's always good to use soft colors, plain gray metal is one of the most horrible things you can do. Is done too often too sadly.

Jungle floor looks like an alien jungle floor, and you wouldn't paint it those plants, they'd be 3d, modeled.

The gras and dirt road textures look actually pretty good, a dirt overlay wouldn't hurt tho.

thanks both you guys for taking the time; thanks especially Strangefate for the details. i enjoyed seeing your own work on your site. may i ask how long you've been texturing professionally?

just understanding that the road and grass are good starting points helps immensely, so thanks. also knowing that photo integration is expected is good to know.. it makes complete sense, i think i was just afraid of being accused of cutting corners or something.

d

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.