My VB6 Tile Engine Using BackBuffered BitBlt....Opinions Needed

Started by
4 comments, last by FireNet 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello! Since this is my first Post I'd like to intro myself a little. Im a computer programmer with a few years experience, mostly in the .NET (mostly c#, and vb with less c++.net), as well I'm experienced in web development(php, asp.net, dhtml,css, cgi/perl). Anyway I've recently Gained a large interest in developing, designing, and coding games and I've been reading over this site for a couple of weeks now. </end intro> Ok, now after thinking about it. I've decided to go back to my roots. I'm developing a 2d Tile based RPG using BitBlt and BackBuffering in VB6. I know it sounds like a waste but I just want to. I want to focus on game play more than graphics, and speed etc..getting back into vb6 was wierd too :D Future Plans include a quad-texture D3D based 2d game, then after than who knows! Phew! long story short, I'm posting my source for your humble review. This source represents several hours of work Honestly..Im really not sure if its even good or following proper methedology for games. (for structured code I mean ;) ) After I make this I'll of course make an OOP based game ;) Let me know what you all think! -Paul my project so far [Edited by - Panopticon on September 17, 2004 8:53:44 AM]
Advertisement
Mr McClicky (you can post HTML here).
That's pretty neat - only critism is when you key-up you stop moving, even if you're holding another key (so holding down Left, press Down to go down a bit, then relase Down and you stop - I think if you carried on going left it'd be better). Good luck with your project!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

yeah, I'm still fiddling around with the key input but i gave up last night. The brain goes fuzzy after 12am ;)
A polite suggestion
[start]
It might be a nice idea to continue with C++ and learn more Standard C++.I mean it's easier to get game programming info and code that is c++ oriented.Also c++ offers you the low level power you need for fast games.
[end]

Your game looks quite nice and btw here are some links you might want to check out

Gamedev - Start Here
Gametutorials.com

Also rather than jumping to DirectX, it might be better and easier if you tried dos game programming in Mode13h.Doing a 2D game in DirectX might be uneccesarly complex when you are just starting out.

Mode13h is very old and supported on almost every card in the world and is very simple to program in.The only downside it the resoultion is 320x200.You get direct access to the screen and you wont have to learn any API.It's really good in the long term , sice you will have to learn and various things by yourself, like loading bitmaps (very simple actually) manually, for one.It should give you an all rounder view of things rather than being buried under DirectX.

VGA(Mode13h) Basics
Graphics in Pixel
Game Programming 99

[Edited by - FireNet on September 17, 2004 9:06:09 AM]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
hehe that mode13h sounds kinda neat. Reminds me of when i was 6yrs old sitting in front of the 286 playing mother good in sweet monochrome green :D

My next project is definitly going to be C++. I did take several c++ courses during my education but they were all dos/console (mostly data structures, and stuff) and when we migrated to .NET we abandoned c++ and stuck with c#, and VB.NET. Thats all fine and good, but a lot of the jobs I see now want MFC...thank you school! :S anyway, I wanted to choose a language I knew really well (leanred in highschool on vb3-6) and wouldn't have to fight with syntax while trying to figure out the best way to approach gaming.

Dont worry c++ will be my friend, just after this project ;)
True enough, so Welcome to game programming and Best of luck.[cool]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement