Sign in to follow this  

C Structures

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven't completely programmed in C for about 2 years so please excuse if I sound uninformed but I was trying to program a little tutorial in C and I was making a structure for properties of a car. Now back when I learned C in college we never declared functions in a structure because well as far as I remember I thought you can't declare functions in structures, that only came in C++ with classes. Anyway I decided "what the hell..." and I plugged in a function in the struct just to test it out and to my surprise it compiled and ran without a hitch. Now is it possible that I just didn't listen in C class when they explained declaring functions in structs or is it my compiler using good ol C++ to make that possible. Hope someone can clear this up for me. :D

Odds are you're using a C++ compiler. In a C++ compiler, the only difference between struct and class is that struct defaults to public and class defaults to private. You can put member functions in a struct in C++.

In C, you can put function pointers in your structure, like this

struct Blah
{
int x;
void (* AddToX)(struct Blah *pThis);
}

void myAddFunc(struct Blah *pThis)
{
pThis->x++;
}

int main(void)
{
struct Blah myBlah;
myBlah.AddToX = myAddFunc;
myBlah.x = 0;
myBlah.AddToX(&myBlah);
}

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.