Sign in to follow this  

Shadow Maps

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I just have a quick question on shadow maps. First of all, I know there is a ton of new technology coming out in regards to the use of the Z-Fail and Z-Pass pixel shader algorithm along with shadow volumes being hardware accelerated in the vertex shader. With these "new" technologies, hopefully, shadow maps will be a thing of the past... but they aren't out yet! I understand the basics of of Shadow maps and I've seen plenty of examples of Shadow Maps, but I haven't run into too many algorithms that explain the automatic generation of these shadow maps in large 3D environments. I know the basic principles of light and how it interacts, but every algorithm I've seen so far generates a new map for every face and personally, I see that as a huge ammount of waste. Do I make a tool for the artist to create and adjust lights? What have you guys done in the past? -Ken

Oh yeah, one more question...

I just opened up UnrealEd and I'm new to this tool, can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how they deal with lightmaps and adding them to the level?

-Ken

IIRC there should be a lighting key in there somewhere.
You have to tell it to calculate lighting by selecting one of the menu options. Sorry I cannot be more specific as I don't have it installed.

yes, the OP is talking about light mapping, which has the light infomation baked into the textures, which ofcourse give you shadows by default.

Shadow mapping is an image space technicial, which is infact becoming more prominate not dying away and certainly isnt the same thing.

Lightmaps may be a thing of the past, but keep in mind that the more you can pre-compute the better no matter how advanced things become. In my opinion, lightmapping is still a good approach in many situations.

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.