Sign in to follow this  

Im A Newb!!

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Get a good "Learn C++" book. Spend 3 years at uni learning how to really use Object Orientation, and the principles of robust software engineering. Spend every night until 4am drinking coffee sat in a dark room crashing your PC by poking memory your not supposed to, and then you will be enlightened...

Or you could start on some of the basic game development kits that are available.

First, you must learn how to wrestle the great beast known as...

*dramatic pause*

GOOGLE

*dramatic thunder & lightning effects*

In all seriousness, the first step in learning how to program games is learning how to program. Learning this is a long and tedious path, and considering your ambitions to start a career in it I'd suggest you instead try and get a social life, because I've found out (a bit late from firsthand experience) that social lives are more important than what you think you want your career to be.

This is all of course assuming you're bellow the age of oh... 19... I'd say 25 or 30 but I prefer to respect my elders, even when they're fools ;-).

Now, if you are ready to become a dork (face it, all game programmers have some dork in them), I suggest you weild the mighty google sword:

Programming Tutorials:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=programming+tutorial&btnG=Search

C++ (very common language, one I use) Programming Tutorials:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=programming+tutorial&btnG=Search

C# (newer, different programming language) Programming Tutorials:

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on September 18, 2004 7:21:41 PM]

It appears no one believes in <A HREF="url"> tags anymore... oh well.

skylineracr:

You first must choose a language to program in. You need to learn the ins and outs of that language before you start anything big. If you're new to programming, I'd suggest VB or VB.NET because then you wouldn't have to stay up into the wee hours of the morning drinking coffee poking random memory addresses.

Many will tell you that C++ is the most efficent, fastest language to program games in. And well, they're right. But they have a nightmare of a time. VB (Microsoft Visual Basic) should be enough power for you to handle until you get a grasp on programming principles, and you can crank out stuff really quick without much learning. It's very well set up.

That said, if you wanted to take it further, you could even through a 3D API in there (DirectX) once you've become proficitent in the language (6~18 months). Now, this isn't necessary (I programmed Tetris in VB.NET with only the panel control!) but it allows you to do more, cooler stuff.

So before someone else says "VB suxors" take a look at it. By the time you reach all that you can do in VB, Longhorn will be out and we'll all be screwed [wink]

Good luck!

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...

Quote:
Original post by Mushu
It appears no one believes in tags anymore... oh well.

Anonymous Posters can't use html. But there's no excuses for MaulingMonkey.

Quote:
Original post by davidx9
... Spend every night until 4am drinking coffee sat in a dark room crashing your PC by poking memory your not supposed to, and then you will be enlightened...

I prefer Mountain Dew myself! This is really a very good point. Learning how to write games takes a lot of time and effort. I've been going at it for two months now and I'm still just a "newb."

Another thing you might want to look into, skylinercr, is Gameversity. They offer a complete set of graphic programming courses (from Game Fundamentals all the way the way up to an actual virtual "intership" for students who do exceptionally well. Plus along the way you'll learn C++, Direct3D, 3D math, etc.. They also have courses on physics and networking.

If you have the cash for those course I would strongly recommend them! I'm currently enrolled in the Game Fundamentals course and the C++ course. Both are six weeks. I also plan on doing a good share of reading both online tutorials (some good ones can be found here).

In addition to that, you should spend a good deal of time at GameDev, reading the forums, browsing the articles, etc, etc.

And of course, there is always [google]

Good Luck!!

- heap

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.