Sign in to follow this  

MMORPG Language

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in finding out what language would be "ideal" for an MMORPG. I was thinking of a few but i am not fluent in any programming languages and was wondering which would be sufficient for each situation below. I would prefer to know which is the easiest/quickest to use and will still perform well. Thanks for your input. 1. A game capable of showing basic 2D graphics and having 50 or so players in a world at the same time. 2. A text based game run in-browser and allowing 1000 or so people to exist in the world simultaneously. 3. A game much like the big ones out there (everquest, eve-online, lineage II). I am just curious, do big games like that use a custom language they create, or can a common language run a game of that quality and size? Thanks again, and i apologize for not seeming like i know more or including more info. I am new to the world of game programming so i appreciate your patience with me.

"1. A game capable of showing basic 2D graphics and having 50 or so players in a world at the same time."

If it isn't commercial, I'd seriously consider modifying a MUD, e.g. CircleMUD - they're good for that kind of player base and have been refined and developed for a good long time. Of course they're also text based so you'd have to add graphics features yourself, but 'basic 2D' might fit in pretty well with a MUD's structure. Language wise you're probably looking at C, or C++, but Java would work well too.

"2. A text based game run in-browser and allowing 1000 or so people to exist in the world simultaneously."

Again, a MUD, but with serious scalability! 'In-browser' would just require a telnet applet that connects to the server. 1000 or so though, you'd probably have to invest in serious hardware/bandwidth. I'd imagine you could host it on one machine, if the machine was really buff. Probably write it in C or C++; I'd prefer C++ for something of that scale.

"3. A game much like the big ones out there (everquest, eve-online, lineage II). I am just curious, do big games like that use a custom language they create, or can a common language run a game of that quality and size?"

I'd hazard a guess that most commercial games, period, are written in C++ :) A lot of them do use in-house or 3rd party libraries on top of lower level API's like OpenGL/DirectX though; stuff like custom networking, animation, server load distribution, and so on.

It's of personal interest to me as I'm currently engaged in the ambitious task of writing a MMORPG myself! :D

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.