Cross platform architecture of a class

Started by
18 comments, last by snk_kid 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I already considered this, but this causes two problems.
1. Implementation doesn't have access to base interface. For instance, base interface may have functions like GetSize()/SetSize() which are the same accross all platforms. When I call a specific platform's Create(), it should have access to base interface's methods.

There doesn't need to be base type.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
There doesn't need to be base type.

Yes, but in this case I have to A) copy/paste the same code over and over again for each implementation (I mean basic get/set code and other code that may be shared accross implementations) and B) I can't *enforce* each implementation to implement a certain standard interface. nmi's solution looks very appealing, I have to think about it a little more.
BTW, there just *have* to be some resources on the intarweb but I couldn't find any. Seems like a fairly common thing, I'm surprised no articles come up on google after a simple search.

I think before I make a choice I'll open up some cross-platform GNU projects and see how they do it. Perhaps I'll pick up some ideas from there.
I always try to avoid using #defines for platform specific stuff.
I prefer to have all the platform specifc source files in a directory called "platform" and just include them normally.

For classes I write an abstract base class from which I inherit platform specific clases. Having code for every platform in a single source file is kinda messy, at least for me.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
For classes I write an abstract base class from which I inherit platform specific clases.

You don't mind having to pay runtime penalty for virtual functions even though everything can be determined at compile time? What about time critical platform specific code?
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:Original post by owl
For classes I write an abstract base class from which I inherit platform specific clases.

You don't mind having to pay runtime penalty for virtual functions even though everything can be determined at compile time? What about time critical platform specific code?

You should know what your needs are. If you need speed then code for speed. If you need organization and scalability code apropiately for that as well.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Hi CoffeMug

I'm just starting off down the same road. I haven't written a single line of code yet, but I have been thinking about the organisation and class heirarchy.

Personally I'm leaning towards two methods mentioned already; Virtual base class member funcs and living with any overhead, and seperate files/folders for seperate implementations. But I can't help much with the facts or pro's and cons.

I've posted because I've spotted something that's missing here-- or at least has been touched upon in a way that I'm trying to avoid.

The organisation of classes such as class BaseWindow; class Win32Window or class XWindow will lead to you having several versions of your application code. Look at the main() in snk_kid's example - it's platform specific. I know it's just an example, but I saw it as a trap to be avoided :)

Going with seperate files and folders I hope to have a common class BaseWindow, and several versions of class Window.

I'm really aiming for the application code to be as portable as possible and I don't see any reason why it can't be 100% so, given the right interfaces.

-- Matt

Quote:Original post by matibee
The organisation of classes such as class BaseWindow; class Win32Window or class XWindow will lead to you having several versions of your application code.

The problem is win32 & X window system work completely different, there isn't much you can share in implemenation apart from say a string for the window title.

Look at the main() in snk_kid's example - it's platform specific. I know it's just an example, but I saw it as a trap to be avoided :)

Are sure you even understand the code, its not platform specific, sure currently the window imps doesn't share any implementation buts its not hard to factor out commonality into a base type or begin with a base type and then specialize to sub-types.

Even if you go the sub-type polymorphic route clients must still specify which platform there going to be on unless you detect which platform clients are on.

I'm really aiming for the application code to be as portable as possible and I don't see any reason why it can't be 100% so, given the right interfaces.

To achieve something like this you need to completely abstract each feature you support in each API your going support like the example of the icons.

EDIT: i would agree with DigitalDelusion some kind of bridge pattern would probably be the best way to go, you can still share implementation in a commmon base you don't have a pointer to the base type.

[Edited by - snk_kid on September 18, 2004 4:13:12 AM]
Hey snk_kid,

I think we're probably aiming for different things here. Complete control over any number of platform specific systems is likely to end up with either a lot of platform code sneaking into the app code, or an awful lot of encapsulation.

In the context of game-dev'ing tho, I'd be happy to forfeit a lot of control over sub-systems as long as they are tuned to make a good job of running on the platform they are coded for.

So my intention is to have a WindowSys, SoundSys, RenderSys, NetworkSys, InputSys (etc) each with limited (but crafted with experience and testing) interfaces- this is not something I claim to be able to do right now, but it is my ultimate goal.

I get what your code is doing (well, just about ;) ) but Your main() IS platform specific. Of course this is just the init'ing of the app and maybe it's best left to platform specifics.

The biggest thing I wanted to avoid here was a complete nonsense of class naming that might lead to 'Win32insertclassnamehere' being spread all over the app code.

-- Matt
I think we're probably aiming for different things here. Complete control over any number of platform specific systems is likely to end up with either a lot of platform code sneaking into the app code, or an awful lot of encapsulation.

Its difficult how far do you go, for games there isn't much of the windowing system you need, just to be able to get either fullscreen/windowed app, rendering contexts, pixel formats, handling OS messages.

anything more than this such as dialogs etc it maybe be best to use a cross-platform widget library instead of trying to write our own its a big job.

I get what your code is doing (well, just about ;) ) but Your main() IS platform specific. Of course this is just the init'ing of the app and maybe it's best left to platform specifics.

Oh okay you mean't the app's entry point, yeah that was just a silly example.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement