Organizing header files

Started by
13 comments, last by Muhammad Haggag 19 years, 7 months ago
How do you organize header files? If you have a complex file hierarchy like this:

/project
  /graphics
    /particlesystem
    /terrain
  /physics
    /collision
    /water
    /ragdoll
managing paths in #includes can get quite annoying. I'd rather write

#include "terrain.h"
than

#include "graphics/terrain/terrain.h"
One obvious solution is to run a script at the beginning of every compilation that grabs all header files and puts it under /project/includes. The problem with this is that when there are errors in the header files, the IDEs bring up a file from /project/includes when you try to look at the error. You end up modifying a temporary file that gets overwritten the next time you compile which is obviously a large pain in the ass. How do you handle this situation?
Advertisement
You can set additional include directories in your project so directory structure won't matter to the compiler.
Quote:Original post by Maega
You can set additional include directories in your project so directory structure won't matter to the compiler.

To make this easier to manage, it's also a good idea to put the most common headers in a single include directory or in a single static library called CoreLib or something like that.

Well, adding many compiler directories also isn't a very good solution...

Does GCC support precompiled headers?
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug

Does GCC support precompiled headers?

And writing a batch file is? :/

GCC should support precompiled headers.
Quote:Original post by Maega
And writing a batch file is? :/

Took me 15 minutes after Olusei (damn, his name is hard to spell) recommended Python.

Some IDEs+compilers like CodeWarrior automatically do this. Which is inappropriate, IMO.

I ran into problems where I had files with the same name in different project subdirectories: 2 "common.h" files. CodeWarrior was always including the wrong one because it searches the project paths in a certain order, and includes the one that comes first.

So generally, I agree with this point

Quote:Does GCC support precompiled headers?

As far as I know, yes. You'll definitely find more details on the gcc website.

Quote:How do you handle this situation?

I usually use relative pathing, e.g. "graphics/terrain/terrain.h"
It's not that bad - it forces you to think your directory structure before doing anything, which is good for things like CVS anyway.

Took me 15 minutes after Olusei (damn, his name is hard to spell) recommended Python.

Not really that hard. Just stop for a minute, learn the pronounciation of his name by heart, and then you'll be able to write it in a sec: Oluseyi.

I tried to learn the spelling first, but that led me to nowhere [smile]

I don't see what is so annoying about putting the paths in the #include. What is there to manage?

It helps if the organization of folders in a project mirrors the organization of the software. The source file and its header file should be kept together. Splitting them into separate folders seems like a very bad idea.

Keep the number of folders in the include path to a minimum. On a large project, you easily have more than 100 folders. Putting all those folders into the include path is going to cause problems.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by Coder
Just stop for a minute, learn the pronounciation of his name by heart, and then you'll be able to write it in a sec: Oluseyi.

I can't even begin to imagine how his name is pronounced [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement