Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Detecting MS vs. Mono vs. DotGNU at runtime?

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any way to check which version of the runtimes you're running on at runtime? Additionally, can you get information about the host OS and version, host processor, etc?

Why do you need to know? The only difference in my game is the timer function, and I just see if QPC returns an exception and switch to a different timer method if it does. What other situations would you need to know your runtime for?

No offense; I'm just curious.

I don't have any immediate examples, so I'll pull one from Java instead.

I was working on a Java game some time ago where we were using Java's native rendering functions in AWT. Now, the Mac OS X Quartz GUI system automatically double buffers all windows, but Windows doesn't. So when I added double buffering to the renderer, it caused quad buffering under Quartz and sliced our framerate in half on OSX. As a result, I needed to detect if I was running on an OSX system, and turn off double buffering if so.

The operating system information, and other system information, can all be queried through various namespaces, like System.Management. However, it is best not to query which framework you are running on. There is no surefire way to get that, and it will tempt you to write code that is specific to a certain framework, thus making it harder to port, overall. Not to mention maintanence problems.

The only time i think this would be useful is for gathering information when an error occured, for logging purposes

What is the safest way to attempt to query for framework information if I had to?

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.