Sign in to follow this  

Local Host Connections Using DPlay

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am under the impression that I can configure Direct Play to run off of a local host. In this system you would not have to be connected to the internet to test client / server systems. Any information on how to set this up would be invaluable as my ISP does not allow personal servers on "unauthorized" ports.

If you setup a device address without a specific port number, DirectPlay will fire up DPNSVR and request a port for you. Onthe client side: if you don't setup a port when enumerating hosts, the enumeration will also ping the DPNSVR, and then return the server and its current port number. DPNSVR allows port number to be dynamically allocated and enumerated. It works well on a local net, but you definitely need to setup a fixed port number when your server needs be found on the Internet. Otherwise you would need a game service like MSN Zone or GameSpy in order for your server (and port) to be pubicliy registered.

-cb

Ok... I tried that method and for the server it worked just the way I wanted it to. It used a TCP loopback adapter and ran while disconnected from the intenet. However the client would not connect to the server. I selected the same loopback adapter as above, didn't specify the port, and used the ip address 127.0.0.1 but it still failed to connect. Any ideas?

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.