New project idea ?!

Started by
4 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone ! Since I had to rewrite my entire old project since it was sooooo badly written, do you guys have any idea of some project I could code so I can try again and get better ? The project could be a game, an utility or simply something to reproduce ( like something in the STL to try to do like it )
Advertisement
how about pac-man?
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
Basic games such as Pac-man, Tetris and Snake are often good learning excersises, or for a utility to learn from, you could program a calculator.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Ok so I'll have to read on path-finding.. but that's for later. Now could you guys help me design the interface so I don't end up with the program being screwed because of a bad design.

So I know some of the objects ( probably classes, structs or namespaces ):
- sprite- userinput- ai_enemy : sprite- wall : sprite // even though it will not move, it's still an image- game_logic- some functions to take care of basic tasks ( such as window creation and some usefull functions )

Thank you guys for your help.
You shouldn't need too much help designing the interface, just take a look at how the originals did it, and figure out how to copy what they did - make any changes you think appropriate.

You'll probably want to load your maps from external files too btw, it's good practice at something 'real' games do.

I assume from your post you've decided to work on Pac-man. To start with just get the player moving around in a map on screen, then add in the tokens the player needs to eat. Don't worry overly much about your AI till you have the player working, to draw them you can use pretty much the same functions as for the player. There should be plenty of old topics around about the AI used in the game, you may also want to check out the AI forum when you get to that stage.

- Jason Astle-Adams

you dont necasarily need a complicated pathfinding algo to make your enemies follow you. when i did it, i simply had it so that when an enemy hit a wall, he checks where the player is and moves in that direction. i also added a "check for player here" tile to the map editor, and i put these at all the intersections in the maps. this made the AI pretty damn smart. you can check out the game w / the source if you want here.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement