• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ryback

Half-Life

This topic is 5144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, Regarding the original Half-Life game, is there any information available on the web regarding its data structures/rendering algorithm? I have this info for Quake but I was wondering if the same is available for HL. Thanks

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
It's probably the same -- Half-Life was written from the Quake engine, and I don't think they changed it algorithmically.

Mind you, its HEAVILY modified, didnt see skeletal animation in quake, also, i thought it was q2 not q1 :-/ but anywho, it was just a base, the network code got hacked to pieces because it sucked
-Dan

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, they really ripeed out large chunks and added quite a bit of functionality. But the rendering algos are the same, as far as visibility and lighting and stuff is concerned.

It was the Quake 2 engine that was heavily modified to make HL. Using the original Quake engine would've just been silly, the data structures are well documented, anything internal I'm not sure about.

The rendering is the same as Quake 2, with some modifications to the file format.

The skeletal animation system they designed is totally new, though. The netcode is their own as well.

Between the Q2 source code and the HL SDK, you can gain some really solid insights on the inner workings of it. I strongly recommend both downloads, particularly the SDK.

I've done extensive work with HL, it's actually based off Q1, I believe there was a bit of Q2 network code in the mix, but am unsure about that.

As people have already said it is heavily modified, taking many of the same paths as Q2, but just compare Q2 and HL and you see differences in the way things are done.

You may say it's silly using Q1 as a base, but if they had used Quake 2 they would have had to have an ID logo spring up at some point and pay a lot of royalties. Many games still used Q2 as a base long after Q3 came out.

Sorry if this is really basic but, what exactly is included in an SDK? Does the HL SDK contain all the game's source code?

Quote:
Original post by Ryback
Sorry if this is really basic but, what exactly is included in an SDK? Does the HL SDK contain all the game's source code?

If its like other SDK's it will contain game code (like ai and weapons and stuff) but not system/engine code (rendering and stuff).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!