why people use C++

Started by
40 comments, last by Muhammad Haggag 19 years, 7 months ago
why people use c# amd dx

i d never us a platform specific api just to make development easier

and btw if you someone is new to programming i suggest to get msvc++6.0 or later + the halflife sdk and write some tiny mods

i learned coding with hlsdk and then switched to engine programming with c++ and opengl
opengl because i like its low level implementation and the solid documentation + it s a standard in graphics development

another reason why i chose opengl was because d3d/dx`s naming of functions ... is as ugly as microsofts MACRO declaration in nearly every windows dependant code e.g. MFC

P.S.: although i hate this ugly macro notation i really like MFC in conjunction with msvc++ due to simplicity, just create a little mfc app add some code and you have a little tool

but the overall notations of microsoft code is sometimes really a pain in my eyes
you could break your fingers when writing code
and it isn t even cross platform *bah*
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Advertisement
I tried C#. Thought it was ok, but made me feel handicapped for some reason. AFAIK, you can't use visual assist with it either.. and I plan on getting my money's well worth out of it.
Just a friendly reminder for future participants: A thread like this often turns into a flamewar. So far that hasn't happened. Please don't be the one to start it.
Thanks [smile]

Quote:Original post by Lee_
I tried C#. Thought it was ok, but made me feel handicapped for some reason. AFAIK, you can't use visual assist with it either.. and I plan on getting my money's well worth out of it.

I believe Visual Assist X works with C#

Quote:Original post by coder
Just a friendly reminder for future participants: A thread like this often turns into a flamewar. So far that hasn't happened. Please don't be the one to start it.

Since it is likely to happen anyway and a lot of the same arguments have already been posted, perhaps it's time to close the thread?
Kippesoep
Quote:Original post by Kippesoep
Quote:Original post by coder

Since it is likely to happen anyway and a lot of the same arguments have already been posted, perhaps it's time to close the thread?

Well, I don't want to prevent people from stating their opinions, as long as they don't flame.

Quote:Original post by owl
Because there are other platforms to develop for beyond Mrs.Windows.

Owl is definetly on the right track here. The main reason that professional developers aren't using C# is that it has absolutely no cross-portability for other gaming consoles.

Most successful game developers are making games for more than one console. Usually, if they are developing for PC, they're also developing for XBOX. If they're a bigger developer, they probably are making games for PS2 and Gamecube, as well.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I just wanted know. Now i can understand more.
************THOUE*****Spec:Intel: 2.8GHzAti Radeon 9800 pro1024mg RAMDevelopping C# DX 9.0c appsThx you!
C# and MDX definately speed up the development process, but unmanaged code still has its place. Imagine if the huge games (Doom 3, HL2, etc.) were written completely in managed code. Currently, it would make the already crazy lowend requirements go up even more.

I am a fan of writing the core engine in a lower level languange (like C++), then doing all the less expensive things in C#. It combines the speed of unmanaged code with the simplicity of managed.

Edit: Deleted original post since it was a pretty bad flame...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
I gave engine programming with c# a go for a while,and there was too many gaping holes and i spent more time scratching my head than actually coding anything.

Here is 10 (off the top of my head) reasons...

(1): I learnt game programming with c/c++,i don't like C# (many reasons) and i'm sure others will know what i mean if they come from a dos/c/c++(game programming)or similar background.

(2): There are more resources,tutorials,examples,and libraries.

(3): There are more books,more everything really.

(4): You need Visual Studio 7 or above(Lol) to use it efficiently.

(5): I don't like it.

(6): I don't like it.

(7): Microsoft don't understand that an operating system should remain transparent to the developer(sorry...this ones for when longhorn hits us...another thread maybe?).

(8): I would rather use BlitZ3D(DX7) IMHO i would probably get more done and better results.

(9): Microsoft think its cool to force developers to...sorry thats the longhorn thread again.

(10): Its not fast enough (for me anyways),and reminds of a language called Dark Basic.

I still use DX7,DX8 (am using some DX9 stuff) and i wouldn't touch DX9.0C or above with a
very long barge pole.
does C# will evetually replace C++ for PC and XBOX game developpement ?

In a buisness way C# is better cause it is suppose to speed up prodictivity. Right ?

************THOUE*****Spec:Intel: 2.8GHzAti Radeon 9800 pro1024mg RAMDevelopping C# DX 9.0c appsThx you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement