why people use C++

Started by
40 comments, last by Muhammad Haggag 19 years, 7 months ago
productivity my arse, its Microsofts answer to java.

For me,there is no reason to touch any .NET stuff,or any DirectX9.0C or above version,and i wouldn't even think about forcing my users to download the huge net frame work.
Advertisement
C# is still best suited for creating "productivity" apps; desktop type programs that are single-platform and don't require any crazy performance tweaks. Currently, it's future is likely as a java / VB replacement. C++? Maybe in the long run, but not until compilers are available for more systems (mono has some promise), but that'll be years out.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Etnu,don't take this the wrong way(no emotion here,only pixels)
i have respect for you (yes,i do know you)... but ...
C++? Maybe in the long run

no,you are talking bollocks.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
C++? Maybe in the long run

no,you are talking bollocks.

Less than 10 years ago people were saying the same thing about C++ overtaking C in game development. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that our technology won't evolve past where it is today, this is a very fast moving field, and there's no reason why eventually a managed language couldn't overtake a natively compiled one, given machines fast enough to run the managed code at breakneck speeds.

Developer time is more expensive than computer time, and development houses are businesses after all.
why would i NEED to use c# instead of c/c++? or anything from MS like .NET for GameDev?

c# will not replace c++ for game development any more than java (or a similar language)would or has,despite what MS think or have planned for managed .NET.

Being pretentious about it on a PC (mainly windows)game programming forum filled with MS interns is ridiculous.

Have 2D games or adventure games dissapeared or become less successfull since technology such as in doom 3 or far cry? nope. GameBoy advance games mostly outsell the most cutting edge PSX2 games.Did you know that?

Point and click games using 2D backdrops with 3D are still being released for PC,and doing better than many cutting edge 3D PC games.

Even after adventure games were announced officially dead.Because some people still prefer them to other games and outselling Doom3.

And c is still used widely(i use it still)in game development.Correct me here,but Carmack is an old timer too,and doesn't follow the heard of sheep?

If you really want to find out if the GI is going to jump on the MS.NET boat in the future,ask someone working at Criterion(EA) or from Sony.
I think a lot of people aren't appreciating it for what it could be used for. Someone just mentioned how well games with lower hardware requirements still do... there's still a HUGE market for budget games. Seems to me that'd be the perfect development market for C# - budget software houses could use it to rapidly develop budget games?

Like someone said, you couldn't write the next Doom3 in C#, but you could certainly write a Day of the Tentacle type game with it :D
---PS3dev
Why you cant make a domme like game with C#. MS said that C# at 98% of the speed of C++. ?

Maybe MS is lying
************THOUE*****Spec:Intel: 2.8GHzAti Radeon 9800 pro1024mg RAMDevelopping C# DX 9.0c appsThx you!
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo
C# and MDX definately speed up the development process, but unmanaged code still has its place.
Perhaps this statement would fit the current situation better if it was reversed. C++ is still the go-to language for game programming, but C# and Managed DirectX has it's place.

Whereas speed, portability, and redistributable size (in some cases) is crucial for games, it's not nearly as critical for the tools that the developers use. This is were .NET can be utilized. If development time for world editors, character animators, plug-ins, ect... can be cut down, then more time can be devoted to the game itself. And since most developer tools are GUI-intensive, C# is a good fit for them.

Quote:I am a fan of writing the core engine in a lower level languange (like C++), then doing all the less expensive things in C#. It combines the speed of unmanaged code with the simplicity of managed.
IIRC, Donavon Keithley is doing some development like this, and it seems to work quite well. I'd check out his blog for more details. You can find it in his signature, I think.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I still dont see how C# will speed up your development time unless used for Windows GUI apps.
Quote:Original post by thoue
Why you cant make a domme like game with C#. MS said that C# at 98% of the speed of C++. ?

Maybe MS is lying

It is not lying, but "protecting their investment" [smile].

There is a C# Quake 2 Port, maybe someone oughta put the original head to head with the C# one and get some statistics, maybe someone already has?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement