C# deployment problem

Started by
6 comments, last by Wyzfen 19 years, 7 months ago
Alright, this problem is driving me insane. I'm using C# and managed DirectX and 2 out of the 3 people I've given my demo to have had the same weird problem. The second they try to run the program, they get a box that says "application has generated an exception that could not be handled". The program runs fine on my computer and my friend's computer and everything DirectX related is in try/catch statements. I googled and got a mess of people with driver and .NET security access problems that I already ruled out, so I figured I'd post here to see if anyone knows what this is about. I would go more in depth about the code of my application but the funny thing is, the people that can't run my application get the exaxt same error with the DirectX SDK samples for C# that I compiled. I already made sure they had the latest versions of .NET framework and DirectX. Has anyone had this problem and figured out the solution to it? Is there something really simple that I'm missing about developing with DirectX and C# then distributing the files? Another thing that may be note worthy is that my friend that could run the program has the DirectX SDK and C# .NET installed on his computer. Please, any help would be apreciated, I'm running out of options here and my project will die if half the people on the team can't run the demos.
Advertisement
ok

tell to you friend that the need the framework 1.1 and make them dlaod the latest dx or the same as your SDK

Here is the secret pass.
go to find de Redist folder and get the managedDX.cab file. Give it to your friend for install (you can open this *.cab with winzip)

here is the path in my pc : C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)\Redist\DirectX9\ManagedDX.CAB
************THOUE*****Spec:Intel: 2.8GHzAti Radeon 9800 pro1024mg RAMDevelopping C# DX 9.0c appsThx you!
Unfortunately my test subjects have all gone to sleep now, but I'll try giving them the managedDX.cab in the morning. If it works, I owe you my life :)
yeah they most likely don't have .net framework installed on their pc's like they'd even have a clue what it is?
But if they running win9x when the program causes an illegal operation it actually says mscore.dll missing I think if I remember.On other windows version it just crashes without any helpful hints. I'd use depency viewer to see the exact dll's it's using.

[Edited by - daviangel on September 19, 2004 1:45:40 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
ok, I have confirmed that the problem was that they simply needed to install the mdxredist.msi (found in the managedDX.cab) that for whatever stupid reason is NOT included in the standard DiretX 9.0c but is essential for anyone to run a managed DirectX program.

Microsoft rate--
thoue rate++
People can install the Managed DirectX stuff using the standard DirectX redist.
they need to add a command-line to their directX installation :
/InstallManagedDX

So you dont need to send them that msi (its in the redist, just not intalled by default).
Yeah, the theory is that anyone shipping an application on Managed DX will include the msi (which is a mergable/callable installer module) with their installer.

I believe Microsoft knows the current MDX isn't yet quite up to snuff, so by the time someone "big" wants to ship an MDX app, they'll have a better version ready for them, thus they don't want to bloat the current DX downloads with code that needs to be replaced anyway.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
But the MDX stuff IS in the standard directX redist - so everyone is getting it. You just have to specifically say you want to install it ( .NET is a prereq and not as many have that ).

Once .NET becomes more prevalent, they might make it automatically include the already included MDX component.

At the moment however, it is generally easier to ship the MSI with yoru software than to ask people to re-run their DirectX installer with a commandline (easier in the sense that it can be automated).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement