Sign in to follow this  

Tiling a landscape

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay. I have the following scenario and I was hoping someone could help me with feedback. I have a tiled outdoor landscape generator working on my PIII 500 with an ancient Voodoo 3 card and DX8.0. For each tile I store the height-based tile type for each corner of the tile. I'm trying to figure the best way to blend the textures. Keep in mind I'm trying to get this thing to run on virtually any 3D card. The way I see it, I have a few options for tiles whose four corners are not identical: 1. Draw the same tile up to four times. If a corner were "grass", the "grass" texture would be drawn with its vertex slightly above the true land height. Risk artifacts(?) 2. Set up 3 or more texture passes with appropriate mask textures. Risk slowdowns and limitations for low-end graphics cards(?) 3. Manually (or using photoshop macros, or even generate code to procedurally) blend between two or three texture types for each scenario. Load many textures on startup. Risk running out of texture memory on low-end graphics cards(?) I'm a little lost as I've read about but never implemented texture blending before.

Hey man,

I have exactly the same specs as you and I came up with the following solution for doing tiling at a decent speed.

http://xsist10.rucus.net/NAG/tutorials/algorithms/terrain/lesson03.html

Code (VC++ 6.0):
http://xsist10.rucus.net/NAG/tutorials/algorithms/terrain/code/code_final.zip

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.