Sign in to follow this  

NeHe contest theme?

This topic is 4750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well Jeff said “The contest: I need a theme, and a timeline.” Perhaps once again we can make a thread discussing it to give him an idea. As for a timeline, a few months works best for a person like myself who doesn’t have a large amount of spare time. Personally I think a “beauty of nature” contest would be great. Some of the coolest entries in the past looked so great be cause the featured great effects mimicking nature. Another idea (I saw this in one the past contest threads) is a good and evil, a yin and yang theme. Post your ideas and opinions.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think that we should do a contest on on realism. we could have the contestants try to make th most amazing and realistic demo. It could be graded by te physics, lighting, motion, and the models. also it would be colorful, and have a lot of eye
candy

What about the most "physically" impressive demo/interactive demo/game? The entry with the coolest portrayal of some kind of physics used commonly in gaming would win. Displaying magnetic properties is usually pretty cool, and showing thousands, if not millions of little balls bouncing around in a closed box would be neat. Imagine hundreds of ragdolls being shot out of cannons at each other!

Guest Anonymous Poster
how bout doing something completely different...instead of realistic and physically accurate...how bout having a non-photorealistic demo contest...maybe see who can come up with the most impressive demo that way....maybe not completely abstract but not shooting for realism either...i think this would work well with the halloween idea as i think it provides a nice backdrop for creating a sort of twisted/dark/dreamworld type of demo that is actually quite different then a lot of demos that strive for realism and accurately mimicing nature....

hmm reading this over i also kinda like the theme "dreamworld" leaves a lot open to the imagination...can be taken both ways...either some perfectly beautiful natural world in someones dream...or something a bit more twisted

Hmmm I really like the dream contest. That would really not limit the creativity taht could take place.

The only problem witha real quick deadline is many people don't have time to make a contest entry in taht showr amount of time. I myself work and go to school.

Remember the break out quick deadline contest, the only entry was matrix :)

It's often good to limit creativity slightly, it makes it easier to judge the enteries and for those that are low on creativety some limitations can actuarly boost their creativity.

But if we do the dream thingy, expect weirdness(allso evil things and nudity).
Funny, that theme strangely coincides with this thread.

I cant wait for clippyboys entery. :)

From past experience with Nehe, 1 month contents ended up turning into 3 month contests because the appropriate resources were not allocated.

Please define these requirements before the contest begins.

(1) Who will be hosting the FTP server
(2) Allocate enough space to hold the contest, IE 500M.
(3) Who is going to run a screen test to make sure contests can be uploaded
(4) Who is going to take screenshots of the demos and post them on the site (maybe make an automated form to upload a) screenshot b) demo (c) source code.
(5) Who will be judging the contest (should we let only contestants vote)

I suggest a 3 to 6 month contest because the quality is so much better (like the last contest).

I'm partial to the collaborative demo theme. I think existing genres are stale. There are too many high quality single player games out there. We need a game revolution, where kids can learn sharing and online collaboration. A lot of the new age jobs are going to be online, and I am for anything that makes this task easier.

I like the idea of a "dreams" theme. It should provide a lot of freedom to the contendors, while confining them to a drealmwold place(bizaar, usually).

I'd like to propose another idea - how about allowing Direct3D entries this time? I'm aware that this is an OpenGL learning site, however, many people use Direct3D as their API. There is already a NeHe D3D Basecode on the site, and it's not very hard for people who know OpenGL to read Direct3D code. I converted my engine to D3D from OGL a year ago, and I think many other people will participate if Direct3D was allowed.

- Etus

Guest Anonymous Poster
oh oh oh, & why don't we open it up to aliens... I mean... I know this is a human forum, but a lot of aliens program too... I'm sure you'd get more entries if you opened it up to aliens.

err...u mean us aliens couldnt enter before?

Wow, so it looks like the consensus is that there really isnt a consensus. It does look like there are a lot of good ideas though...

How bout a "Dats sum wak shit" contest. The theme would be open to the point where the goal is to make a "typical programmer" say "Dats sum wak shit".

Guest Anonymous Poster
No cell shading, no such effects!
Leave theme free!! This is the best!
By giving cell shading theme you automatically excludes people who doesn't have GF 6800 or FX! I have GF4 and I made great effects (in my opinion) but giving "who can do the best effect" is really saying: "who have he best video card and more texture units to use".

The idea with music thas is given is not so bad, because theme is free. I don't know where to get music for my demo so :/ I know that music makes the whole impression. Demo without music is no so good (could you watch LOTR without music? or Matrix without music? I couldn't).

Wow. lots of ideas here.

As a first note, I'm NOT going to enter the contest ; so, just like Evil, I'm rather giving ideas to help entrents rather than giving ideas I'd like to implement myself.

I personnaly don't like the 28th apocalypse contest neither the 4th LOTR (yes, FOURTH). It's like we run out of ideas if we repeat the same themes everytime. :(

I like the good and evil theme (BTW, who is Good? ... nm) ; the dream theme is cool too, but I don't think they can drive a practical theme. It's just too vague as it is. Maybe some limitations would be better, like "heaven and hell".

I for one would never go for the music contest. First we will have lots of problems with copyrights (we already have problems when we leave the music capability free to the entrants) and not everyone know how to work/sync with the music. We're 3D programmers, not sound programmers. Then the quality of the content will be very subject to what kind of music the voters like, which may not match the entrant's likings.

The cel-shading theme is too open too I think. BTW, you don't need a GeForceFX to render cel-shaded models. I've submitted a program that does it with ARB_vp/fp/vbo but the initial tutorial runs on any graphics card that supports OpenGL1.0 (yes, 1.0!).

As a side note, I prefer effect-based demos rather than theme-based demos, like NeHe suggested. Themes are very subject to the likings of the entrant. For instance, could you be inspired by a Van Helsing contest if you didn't like the movie ... or if you just didn't see it ?

I think the time line should be around two months. Week-long contests are not reasonable for anyone not visiting the site daily. And half-year-long contests are just too much : not everyone can handle such long time work. Many of us have a life besides 3D programming ya'know :p

This topic is 4750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.