NeHe contest theme?

Started by
218 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
Hmmm I really like the dream contest. That would really not limit the creativity taht could take place.

The only problem witha real quick deadline is many people don't have time to make a contest entry in taht showr amount of time. I myself work and go to school.

Remember the break out quick deadline contest, the only entry was matrix :)
Advertisement
It's often good to limit creativity slightly, it makes it easier to judge the enteries and for those that are low on creativety some limitations can actuarly boost their creativity.

But if we do the dream thingy, expect weirdness(allso evil things and nudity).
Funny, that theme strangely coincides with this thread.

I cant wait for clippyboys entery. :)
Quote:Original post by lc_overlord

I coudln't help but laugh at that one.
Quote:Original post by skow
Quote:Original post by lc_overlord

I coudln't help but laugh at that one.

Hmm... what am I missing?
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Read the thread that overlord linked.
From past experience with Nehe, 1 month contents ended up turning into 3 month contests because the appropriate resources were not allocated.

Please define these requirements before the contest begins.

(1) Who will be hosting the FTP server
(2) Allocate enough space to hold the contest, IE 500M.
(3) Who is going to run a screen test to make sure contests can be uploaded
(4) Who is going to take screenshots of the demos and post them on the site (maybe make an automated form to upload a) screenshot b) demo (c) source code.
(5) Who will be judging the contest (should we let only contestants vote)

I suggest a 3 to 6 month contest because the quality is so much better (like the last contest).

I'm partial to the collaborative demo theme. I think existing genres are stale. There are too many high quality single player games out there. We need a game revolution, where kids can learn sharing and online collaboration. A lot of the new age jobs are going to be online, and I am for anything that makes this task easier.
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
I like the idea of a "dreams" theme. It should provide a lot of freedom to the contendors, while confining them to a drealmwold place(bizaar, usually).

I'd like to propose another idea - how about allowing Direct3D entries this time? I'm aware that this is an OpenGL learning site, however, many people use Direct3D as their API. There is already a NeHe D3D Basecode on the site, and it's not very hard for people who know OpenGL to read Direct3D code. I converted my engine to D3D from OGL a year ago, and I think many other people will participate if Direct3D was allowed.

- Etus
Quote:Original post by skow
Read the thread that overlord linked.

Oh, now I see it. His html/link tag is invalid and I forgot to use edit to view it.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
oh oh oh, & why don't we open it up to aliens... I mean... I know this is a human forum, but a lot of aliens program too... I'm sure you'd get more entries if you opened it up to aliens.
Two more ideas:

1. Cel shading. ie Who can make the best cartoon.

2. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow theme.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement