Sign in to follow this  

wireless networking (a little off topic)

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i hope this isn't that off topic as it doesn't really have much to do with coding anything, it's more of a networking problem i have, however the microsoft forums or the linksys site could not provide me with any definate solutions, this is why i am asking here. the problem is that my computer which has the wireless receiver has association (it has signal strength) but it will not connect to the internet (times out when aquring network address) i sorta can fix the problem with a solution to this on the linksys site ... i changed these settings on my wirelss router ... Beacon Interval: 50 (default 100) RTS threshold: 2304 (default 2432) Fragmentation threshold: 2304 (default 2346) it then worked, i tried the computer again and then it stopped working the next day, i lower beacon interval to 35 and it worked again, next day stopped working ... so i have 2 questions now 1 being is what do those 3 settings actually do (beacon interval, rts and fragmentation threshholds), and my 2nd question being is why is this hasppening and is there any solutions? thanks for any help in advance.

it sounds as if those solutions are fixing the connection because they force a reset of the linksys router.

I had a similar problem where my lease was running out, and I had set my router's security to ignore pings. When my IP pinged the router to see if I was still there, and got no response it yanked my IP and returned it to the pool. I had to re-enable ping response.

your problem might be similar. see if your up-time corresponds to your lease duration.

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.