Sign in to follow this  

No natural talent. Is there hope?

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys, I'm tired of trying to find artists that will work with me (usually due to no money :D). I want to know if it's possible for me, with no natural talent, to do my own art and have it look acceptable. So my question is: What do I need to know and how much work do you think it'll take?

You most likely have an innate art style hidden inside your head. Try different styles, pick one that suits your thoughts the best, and just practice!
Nobody's a master at birth in anything...

EDIT: I think that simple graphite pen and paper approach works very well if you're practicing graphics seriously for the first time. When you're comfortable with those, it's easy enough to transfer the skill to computer artistry.

If you want to skip the "analogic" drawing, I recommend getting a Wacom tablet, any model will do fine for a beginner.

If you're implying that your simply not good at what you want to do, that's nothign to be afraid of. Talent is only a skill that someone developed early on which makes it look like some naturally inherent thing. All you need do now is learn now what your peers or other atrists tend to have learned earlier. What is it you want to get into? 3D? 2D? Either way, pick up books, do some reading, and practice, alot. you'll get better I can vouch. I'm a 3D artist who until recently couldn't draw which could be a serious problem. I picked up a couple books and practiced and now I'm really quite good and still learning.

as far as how long it will take, that depends, it takes some people langer than others to pick up certain skills, just stick with it and you'll ghet there. Just don't be discouraged if you aren't instantly some wonderfull artist, it took Van Gogh years and years of persistant practice to learn to draw.

Before spending money on a book you could search for art/drawing tutorials, that's what I did when I wanted to learn how to draw anime. Then practice, practice, practice. :)

I hear you, artists are the hardest sometimes to get working under a spec arrangement. Without talent, there is technique, and, you certainly can produce quality art through technique. Eventually, you may find the talent you thought you didn't have.

It's about the practice, really. I have been drawing on and off for years, and even though my skill is limited to things like landscapes and natural scenes, they are artistic is quality.

Addy

I taught myself to draw as a kid. When I was 8 I started tracing out Roy of the Rovers comic books, and from that I gleaned the fundamental principles of anatomy, shape, perspective, etc. The most interesting thing is that I learned to draw from the focal point of the picture, rather than, say, always drawing the head first.

The key element is observation. Art is systematic. Learn about vanishing points and projection lines and you'll be drawing effective arbitrary-perspective buildings and other mechanical fixtures in no time. For organic shapes such as humans, animals and trees, study a little biology: human anatomy (my old roommate, a graphic designer and Flash animator, has a copy of Gray's Anatomy) is an essential.

Go for it, and good luck.

Talent definitely isn't everything. Stubbornness is ;) If you want to make great art, you will. Just don't let the "no talent" cloud loom over you.

Question is, do you like making art? If you don't like it you won't be good at it. I like doing any type of art... I've done sculpture, photography, printmaking, 3d animation, video art... etc etc etc... But I hate drawing. The result? I'm horrible at drawing and good at everything else.

Just realize, if you want to be really good, this needs to take over your life for a little while ;) A little obsession never hurt anyone. Practice, Practice, Practice....

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.