Motion blur and artifacts

Started by
3 comments, last by klems 19 years, 7 months ago
Since the accumulation buffer is insanely slow I decided to achieving some motion blur-effects by rendering my scene and copying the framebuffer to a texture. Next frame, switch to ortho mode and render a quad textured with said texture over the entire screen at 0.9 alpha, then once again copy the framebuffer to the same texture. Repeat as long as motion blur-effects are turned on. While this performance-wise seems to work pretty well and gives almost exactly the same visual result as the accum buffer, all objects leave a faint trail of its own color on the black background. The blending equation used is GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA. Does anyone have any ideas about how to eliminate that trail while still maintaining the motion blur-effects?
Advertisement
Surely you should use (ONE, ONE) for the blend modes ?
(ONE,ONE) doesn't 'fade away' with time.
With (SRC_ALPHA,ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA), old frames decay as new frames are rendered on top of them, with (ONE,ONE) the new frame is just layered on top of the old ones without any decay.
Oh I know that problem, what I did to overcome it is instead render an alpha blended black screen quad over the scene like this:

glBlendEquation(GL_FUNC_REVERSE_SUBTRACT);glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE);glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0);glBegin(GL_QUADS);	float Fade=TimeStep*FADE_RATE;	glColor4f(Fade, Fade, Fade, Fade);	glVertex2f( 1,  1);	glVertex2f( 1, -1);	glVertex2f(-1, -1);	glVertex2f(-1,  1);glEnd();

Then I copy the result to a texture, and this is what I use for the trails. This way the fade is a linear function where FADE_RATE is the number of seconds it takes for the trail to disappear. Then I just draw the scene normally for the next timestep, and layer the trail texture overtop using glBlendEquation(GL_FUNC_MAX);

btw, BlendEquation is an extension.
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.
Thanks, I'll try that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement