Sign in to follow this  

Per-Pixel lighting without normal maps?

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi currently I'm reading through several tutorials about per-pixel lighting written in shaders. But it seems as if almost all tutorials make use of normal maps. Well, I have a BSP loader class which loads and renders Quake3 BPS maps. Since a map consists of dozens of textures, isn't it tedious to create normal-maps for every single texture? There must be another way :I heard of interpolating the pixel normals from the vertex normals, but as being a total newbie with shaders I don't how this actually works, if at all. Do I really need normal maps or are there easier ways (no problem if they're not 100 percent precise). I read through this tutorial and it seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. But I'm programming with DirectX and have absolutely no clue about OpenGL-code. I'd be grateful for any suggestions or hints into the correct direction :) thanks in advance

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.