First person shooter

Started by
6 comments, last by mikeman 19 years, 7 months ago
I would enjoy making a first person shooter as my first big 3D project. Are there any tutorials on exactly this, or no? Any books that would apply? I would just like to know some general theory and tips to get started. Thanks.
Advertisement
First: have you made any games before? If you have but dontknow about 3d learn how to use at leastvectors so you can make your camera move. Actually if you want to make a very simple first person shooter its not that hard at all. But if you want to make it good then it gets hard.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Ainokea, thank you for providing the links in your signature.
Perhaps you would be better off modding a FPS first?

Try modding UT2004 or Doom3. Modding for an already existing FPS will give you the experience and confidence you need. You probably wont even need a tutorial on making a FPS if you go the modding route first.
Well, modding and making an FPS from scratch is almost like night and day (well a little less in some cases). I do not think there are complete tutorials on making an FPS b/c it is such a huge project with many possibilities. One of the most important choices to make is how to manage the levels (geometry). There is no clear answer b/c it depends on many things like outside/inside, detailed/plain rooms, slow collision/fast collision, etc... Each mothod has its trade offs and it will take some thinking to figuire out what will work best. Then after this there are hundreds of other things to code like camera, physics, characters, network, gui, hud, weapons, sound, special fx, etc...

Good luck
Do you care more about learning or about having actual players enjoy your game?
I care about both, clearly. Primarily though.. I want to learn. Thanks for the replies.

Any more.. technical help?
Well,I can give you some tips based on my own experience,because I'm currently working on an FPS too.First,don't try to implement very fancy effects,like bumpmapping and such.Just lightmapping is good for a start.You can use the FSRAD tool to generate the radiosity maps,so you don't have to write your own lightmapper.I also found that it was easier not to try to make the game fully 3D,since it was my first effort,but rather make it like the original Doom.That way,designing the levels and handling collisions,AI and stuff is simpler.As for the art,I found some very good MD2 and MD3 models in polycount,and textures from the Wadfather.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement