Sign in to follow this  

Good XML Parser and a Encrypt system?

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I want to use XML for the saved game files of my game. I was googling some info and found that Expat and TinyXML are the best/fastest parsers. But.. I'm still in doubt. Which one is the fastest/leaks less memory? And another question: a good encryption and decryption algorithm that uses keys for using for these XML files? Thanks Alfred

For the record, using your own binary format will be faster than using XML and will leak no memory since you'll make it and can be sure that it doesn't. It will also be much more difficult to edit without knowing the format (you mentioned encryption; this helps the cause just as much).

Guest Anonymous Poster
I bit the bullet and use the Apache Xerces parser. It is an external DLL (which some folks find offensive), but the validating part of it flat our rules. I never have to write a file error handler ever again (so awesome...)

One of the main reasons XML was designed to increase inter-compatability between multiple systems. If you're encrypting the XML files, you probably don't really need XML.

Prehaps you could create a parser which would encrypt source xml files into your own binary format if you're worried about the development side?

Then you wouldn't even have to worry about memory leaks as long as it was a command line tool running on a modern OS.... since they'll get cleaned up as the program exits.

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.