Sign in to follow this  

Detecting Intersection Without D3DXIntersect

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Im writing a game in which i have a vertex buffer that contains vertices for 20 cubes. Each cube occupies 36 vertices as a triangle list. How do i test to see if the vector for the pick ray intersects with this cube. I assume i'd have to test each triangle for intersection? Where can i find the maths for this simple triangle/ray intersection. any help is appreciated, ace

Are you sure it wouldn't be easier to do this outside of the graphics system? I mean, you must have non-graphics data for your cubes somewhere, right? (Position, rotation, etc - the data you use to generate the vertices).

You should just be able to pull your ray back through the projection/view matrices to get it in world coordinates, and then you can collide it against your cubes directly, which ought to be easier (20 tests instead of 20*12 tests).

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.