Sign in to follow this  

Using Find() and Vectorstring

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I saw an example of how to use Find() from algorithm.h in conjunction with a vector in order to search for a given integer value. Here is the example: http://cplus.about.com/library/weekly/aa050102j.htm Is there a way to search a vector<string> in a similar manner? Right now I'm just looping through and doing a string.compare on each iteration, but I was wondering if there was a faster and/or more elegant way to do this?

The Find() funtion takes 3 arguments, the start and end iterators, and the value to be searched for:

result = find( L.begin( ), L.end( ), 10 );

But when I try to enter a string or string.c_str() as the third (value) parameter, there is no overloaded option that accepts that.

Can you provide an example of how to do this with a std::string?

Quote:
Original post by toddhd
The Find() funtion takes 3 arguments, the start and end iterators, and the value to be searched for:

result = find( L.begin( ), L.end( ), 10 );

But when I try to enter a string or string.c_str() as the third (value) parameter, there is no overloaded option that accepts that.

Can you provide an example of how to do this with a std::string?

You must be doing something wrong, can you post it (including variable declerations)?

All this compiled fine:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>

char * source_names[] = { "Bob" , "Pete" , "David" , "Mike" , "Ernest" };
const unsigned int source_count = sizeof( source_names ) / sizeof( source_names[0] );

int main ( int argc , char ** argv )
{
std::vector< std::string > str_names( source_count , std::string() );
std::vector< char * > cptr_names( source_count , 0 );
for ( unsigned int i = 0 ; i < source_count ; ++i )
{
str_names[ i ] = source_names[ i ];
cptr_names[ i ] = source_names[ i ];
}

std::vector< std::string >::iterator result1 = std::find( str_names.begin() , str_names.end() , "Pete" );
std::cout << "result1: " << *result1 << std::endl;

std::vector< std::string >::iterator result2 = std::find( str_names.begin() , str_names.end() , std::string("Bob") );
std::cout << "result2: " << *result2 << std::endl;

std::vector< char * >::iterator result3 = std::find( cptr_names.begin() , cptr_names.end() , "David" );
std::cout << "result3: " << *result3 << std::endl;

std::vector< char * >::iterator result4 = std::find( cptr_names.begin() , cptr_names.end() , std::string("Mike") );
std::cout << "result4: " << *result4 << std::endl;

std::string Ernest = "Ernest";

std::vector< std::string >::iterator result5 = std::find( str_names.begin() , str_names.end() , Ernest );
std::vector< std::string >::iterator result6 = std::find( str_names.begin() , str_names.end() , Ernest.c_str() );
std::vector< char * >::iterator result7 = std::find( cptr_names.begin() , cptr_names.end() , Ernest );
std::vector< char * >::iterator result8 = std::find( cptr_names.begin() , cptr_names.end() , Ernest.c_str() );

std::cin.get();
return 0;
}

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.