Should I add multiplayer?

Started by
2 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 7 months ago
Alright. I've got a game project going. I've finished a few already, and I haven't gotten too far yet on this one. What I wanna know is this: should I learn network coding for this project? I've already made an "engine" of sorts (I'm not sure if I'm labelling it right) that handles my tilemap drawing and collisions, built on top of HGE. Its not too much code yet, or too complicated. Or should I just wait till later? Is there a wrapper or something out there thats good for multiplayer games?
Advertisement
generally speaking, if you want decent multiplayer, plan it from the beginning. Tacking it on later will be far more painfull and networking in general is painful enough if you ask me. It's also really boring, so if you get it out of the way now, you can concentrate on the more fun aspects of game programming later.
Bah, this forum is on the fritz. That was me again.

Anyway, you might try SDL_net if you want the cross-platform goodness. It's rather basic, but that's really all you need.
well, i dont really understand your question. i mean, uhhhh, are you asking an opnion on weather or not to make your game multiplayer? its up to you. if you want to make your game multiplayer, then start learning net coding now, and try to work it into the game on an early stage.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement