Synchro, my free 3d plataformer (NEW VERSION!)

Started by
38 comments, last by Killua 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi everyone, if you are bored or have some time to spare please try my game. It's a 3D plataformer where you have to reach the end of the stage jumping from cube to cube. Scenery movement and dangers are synchronized with the music which hopefully will make it more intuitive. It's still a prototype and there are only 6 levels. I know it's dificult and levels need better design but it's already fun, and small (2.3M), and I will apreciate some criticism! [NEW VERSION] Thanks everyone for the feedback, this thread helped me a lot to know the problems in my game. The new version includes: - a new level, designed to practise the game mechanic, and with it a new song. - A configuration file (config.ini). The only options there are fullscreen/windowed mode and default camera height - Now F1,F2 and F3 change camera height for those of you who found it too low. Keep the feedback coming! the link -> HERE! the screens -> And while you are at it you can check my ney project, a shooter called auralei :P [edit] added screenshots [edit 2] new version [Edited by - Killua on September 22, 2004 3:19:03 PM]
Advertisement
Hey,
Your game is pretty cool. The graphics are smooth, and the music is appropriate and good quality. As you said it's very difficult. What I think would make it a lot easier is if the character cast a shadow below him. It doesn't have to be a real shadow, just a dark spot to give some reference when you're trying to land. Good work though.

tj963
tj963
Thanks a lot for playing!
Strange, it already casts a shadow (well a dark spot as you say), if it doesn´t show on your system it is a bug :(. Are you running your desktop at 32 bpp?
So far I've only tested on a gffx 5200 and a radeon 9600 pro, what card are you using?
I thought the z button was way too twitchy on the landing, until I realized you could chain it for combo points. I really liked the pitch black level, shitloads of combo points going on there =)

This game is simply awesome, and looks beautiful for something that is nothing more than a bunch of cubes really.

You should put some more work into the GUI and try to publish it. It runs like a dream, even on my P3 700 with an ATI 8500 SE.
That is sweeet. The game is insanley difficult at first, but once you get used to it its just hard. I beat icecage and almost beat into the darkness. The Vicious Cirlce is insanley hard but it looks awesome.

The graphics are really elite considering your only using pcx textures and cubes.

This is a great example of making do without much else but code, I second that you polish up the menu, add some stuff, and maybe decrease the difficulty.
--http://www.geenat.com - Gnat's Software Design and Development Bloghttp://www.lanpartyeh.com - Canadian LAN Party Communityw00t!
I love it, and hate it at the same time. I find it hard to control, and harder to play. But other than that it's perfect.... (odd review.)

Just one thing about the graphics... I think you shouldn't make the main character so reflective. It's distracting. It's like 100% reflection? Why not 25% instead, make it a subtle effect.
Good job! I really like this game, though it's pretty difficult. I managed to finish the dark one because nothing is moving around :D I want to compliment you on the backgrounds. They remind me of games like Rez and Monkeyball, just simple and cool looking. A while ago I was thinking about making a game with simple graphics (well, only cubes, actually hehe) like this, but never really got around to it. Seeing how interesting simple graphics can be reinspires me.
nice game. bring the camera up a bit tho, and as already suggested make synchro less reflective. add some Anti-aliasing and you've got a sweet game.
Thank you all! Ok, first those who find synchro too reflective can press the '2' key to disable the second texture on the model(the one that does the reflection) and '1' to reenable it. I'll repair the camera adding a key to change the height, Daytona Usa style :D.
About dificulty, as I already said this is a prototype, if I find the time and inspiration (there are lots of other projects on my mind actually) I'll make a lot of levels,they are quite easy to do, including tutorial ones.
Thank you again for the reply.
OK, I don't know if I'm playing a newer version than others who have posted, but:

1) The control isn't hard. The control is near perfect, apart from it being tricky to judge whether you've jumped far enough. It's the game that's hard. Reminds me a little of Qbert.

2) The music rocks. Did you compose it yourself? The whole game/music synchronization is also way cool, and not something I've seen often, if ever, before. (except things like Xwing where you get the 'enemy ships arriving' music when enemy ships arrive, but that doesn't count.)

3) God DAMN it's addictive. I think the quick reload time after you die has a lot to do with it - I 'just one more'd at least ten times, probably closer to twenty, before I managed to break away long enough to write this post.

I really, really want to see this finished. :)

[edit: Couple of suggestions, if you want them:
First up, maybe slowly fade out the music when you finish a level, before returning to the start screen. Let the player relax for a few seconds and soak in the glory. :)
Secondly, how about automatically advancing to the next level when a stage is completed, rather than returning to the prep screen for the level just completed? That would give more of a feeling of 'progress' through the game.

Just my 2c. :)]

[edit again: d'oh. first bug. I managed to get stuck inside one of the cubes in Rainbow Snake. Dunno how though - through one of the corners maybe?]

[Edited by - fractoid on September 20, 2004 7:25:31 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement