Sign in to follow this  
Pseudo

TextureShader?

I'm trying to get texture shaders working in my managed directx engine but I'm missing something. I would like to use the FillTexture method of TextureLoader but I need a TextureShader. I can create a TextureShader only with a GraphicStream containing the compiled function. I can compile the function using EffectCompiler if I give it an EffectHandle. I dont get how to get an EffectHandle for the function that I want (within and fx file)? There doesn't seem to be any methods of Effect that return an EffectHandle for a function. Any ideas?

Yay, I love answering my own question...

It turns out that Effect has about a million UNDOCUMENTED methods and properties. Not that I'm supprised, but I wish they would have at least put empty pages in the help so I would know they were there. Good thing Intellisense came to my aid. For those of you who are interested, Effect has a method called "GetFunction" which does exactly what I needed.

Well, just when I thought I had my solution, it turns out I'm still lost.

Now that I have an EffectHandle, I need a GraphicStream of the compiled function. The EffectCompiler seems to be what I need, but there is no overload to create one without an unmanaged ID3DXEffectCompiler.

what I want to do is this:
EffectHandle noiseHandle = effect.GetFunction("GenerateNoise");
EffectCompiler effectCompiler = new EffectCompiler(null);
GraphicStream function = effectCompiler.CompileShader(noiseHandle, "ps_2_0", ShaderFlags.None);
TextureLoader.FillTexture(noiseTexture,new TextureShader(function));

but I cant just put "null" in the constuctor...any ideas? maybe another way of getting the GraphicStream of a function without EffectCompiler?

I dont have any experience with managed dx, but this may help you. In ur effect file u can specify a compile target like so:

vertexshader = compile vs_1_1 VS();

Then you can use GetVertexShader() to get a handle to the compiled shader. Maybe there is something similar for MDX? Then again this may not be what u want.

I assume ur trying to fill a texture from another texture (or with some predefined coloring algorithm). So why not just use RenderToTexture and the Sprite interface (if ur rendering a texture to texture) and get ur coloring algorithm going with a pixelshader? I would assume this would be [more] backwards compatible to cards that dont support texture shaders.

Also just on a brief look I see GetFunction() documented in my (old old) mdx docs, so are you sure you've downloaded the updated docs?

Actually, i did find it in the docs, but not in the contents list for Effect. I didn't look in BaseEffect yesterday...oops.

the suggestion about compiling it in the effect file doesnt seem to work because I still have no way of getting the GraphicsStream from it. It's not a pixel shader, but rather just a function that the TextureLoader knows how to make into a pixel shader. I suppose I could do it myself, but i wanted to use the built in support if it's possible.

Has anyone successfully used EffectCompiler in MD3D?