[java] Violence on Games

Started by
9 comments, last by Shadrack 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m doing this project in school about violence on Games. I was wondering if anyone had any views on this topic.
Advertisement
Personally, i dont have a problem with violence as long as it is relevent to the game. If it is just for the sake of blood, then its stupid. But most of all you have to remember, ITS NOT REAL
Violence in video games has no bearing on any healthy (meaning mentally stable) person. To say that violent video games are the cause of child violence, shootings ect... Would be like saying that Charles Manson killed so many people because he watched the 3 Stooges... That type of argument couldn''t hold water. If parents are so worried about violence in video games then maybe they should buy a matching set of mountain bikes for the family at Christmas instead of the newest video games and machines... Parents are trying to pawn off the responsility of raising THEIR children to the people who cater to the musings of a bored child.... Maybe you should write your paper on why that kind of paper is as irrelevant to the real world as a fart in the wind.

War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.
Could you mention that games don''t make kids violent cause it doesn''t. If that was the case I would have killed at least 10 people and wrecked my house. I was playing mortal kombat with the blood cheat when i was in 2 or 3rd grade and it never affected me one bit, I play a fair bit of fighting games and RPG''s and Resident evil and has never made me violent once same thing goes with my friends.

I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince.
Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
My parents divorced when I was a kid. I played D&D and all sorts of violent games. According to some people I should have killed a bunch of people by now. It isn''t video games or hollywood. It is all absentee parenting. You can''t seriously expect that giving your kid money and not attention is going to turn out well. Amen Wrathnut.

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
i didnt read your whole post before wrathnut (well at least not very well) I totally agree with what you are saying 100%

I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince.
Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
playing violent video games makes people less violent. Basically video games take the fun part of battle and improve upon it while removing the bad part (you know, the part where people die horribly and have their farms burned).

Well i don''t think there is nearly enough violance in computer games (or real life for that matter), but whats it got to do with Java development??
I don''t know how detailed your research is going to get, but here is a perspective that I don''t hear mentioned very often.

Most of the discussion about violence in video games ponders if the games cause children to become more violent. My question is why are the kids attracted to playing violent video games in the first place.

Over the 20 years my friends and I have played games, most of us have chosen to avoid video games with excessive violence. I see nothing wrong with games like Twisted Metal or Mortal Combat, but I don''t enjoy playing them. For me the excessive violence compromises the game play. I am not alone - many of my friends have the same opinion. I guess my opinions about violence have filtered to my daughter because she seems to have the same preferences in games as I do.

The fact that less violent fighting games such Street Fighter Alpha are as popular as the more violent fighting games such as the various incarnations of Mortal Combat may be another clue.

It might be that games do not shape attitudes about violence as much as they reflect the attitudes of the players drawn towards violent games.

Of course, this is all anecdotal evidence and by its self means nothing - just something to think about.
Boy did you ever stir up a hot topic!

Well, it seems like you are getting a recurring idea here that most of us think violence in games don't affect us. We ALL remember shootings in the schools and how the media so elequently blamed it on video games like Doom (and even Wolf3D) on how they can increase accuracy and all that sh*t.

I do agree to a certain degree that removing violence in games is not the solution to saving our kids and wrathnut definitely brings up an interesting topic about parents. The violence in games and TV that we see nowadays aren't the only factors that create a killer out of a person. But can you say that TV and violence in games doesn't decensetize you? (Not sure if I spelled decensetize right...)

Don't get me wrong though, I personally love games that can go out and frag a friend, and for me sometimes just seeing the head go flying off or the body beeing blown to bits is just hilarious (yes I have a morbid sense of humour). BUT that doesn't mean that I actually like to see that happen in real life. I know the difference between real and fiction. Now if you take the columbine shooting where the scapegoat was video games, they didn't factor in the parents, the school environment, their home/hometown environment and there's more that I haven't mentioned. Yes I'm pretty sure that video games and TV did affect them to a certain degree but it did not create killers out of them.

If the media wishes to go down hard on video games then we should remove all the news media also because in the very least, that's real and entertainment is not.

So if you're going to write up on violence in the game industry, it's been wrongfully accused (and not the Leslie Nielson wrongfully accused either).

Phew!
Well that's my rant for the day.
Smoo

Edited by - Smoo on October 3, 2000 11:29:07 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement